Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has my friend been scammed out of £1,000? (Modelling agency) Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend informed me today that she recently showed up for a photo shoot with a modelling agency after applying online ("Top models UK" or something). When she arrived at the studio, they apparently gave her all sorts of flattery which made her feel really good (according to her). Conveniently, they also wanted her to pay up £1,000 for the privilege of having a portfolio put together, which they claim they'd use to find paid modelling work for her. Additionally, they presented her with a contract, which she said she felt "pressured" into signing, but she did nonetheless. This agreement committed her to paying a monthly sum for the next 9 months adding up to £1,000.

Am I missing something? In what world would a reputable modelling agency charge £1,000 to their clients if they're so sure they're going to make money off them? Sounds like a scam to me. She said they gave her lots of flattery when she arrived. Yeah, no ****, they want £1,000 off you!!

If it is indeed a scam, how am I going to break it to her?? She's got quite low self esteem and I'm worried this will upset her.

Also, could there be a way of getting her money back?
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Barack Obama)
    My friend informed me today that she recently showed up for a photo shoot with a modelling agency after applying online ("Top models UK" or something). When she arrived at the studio, they apparently gave her all sorts of flattery which made her feel really good (according to her). Conveniently, they also wanted her to pay up £1,000 for the privilege of having a portfolio put together, which they claim they'd use to find paid modelling work for her. Additionally, they presented her with a contract, which she said she felt "pressured" into signing, but she did nonetheless. This agreement committed her to paying a monthly sum for the next 9 months adding up to £1,000.

Am I missing something? In what world would a reputable modelling agency charge £1,000 to their clients if they're so sure they're going to make money off them? Sounds like a scam to me. She said they gave her lots of flattery when she arrived. Yeah, no ****, they want £1,000 off you!!

If it is indeed a scam, how am I going to break it to her?? She's got quite low self esteem and I'm worried this will upset her.

Also, could there be a way of getting her money back?
    Use the TSR search facility and input modelling agency and you will see hundreds of threads with lots of the same advice about being charged money. Almost certainly its a con for gullible young people.

Report them to trading standards and if shes under 19 then its unenforceable. It may still be unenforceable.. She should stop all monies and speak to CAB asap.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it's a scam no model agency asks for money upfront.

ReputationRep:
    If you're good looking you will be the one paid to model

Sorry but your friend isn't good looking

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.