Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Messi is the best footballer ever Watch

ReputationRep:
    The man is prolific in every aspect of the game. The chances he creates out of nothing, the dribbling and the ability to run through a whole team. He is the best footballer to play the game.
    He proved it against real Madrid last year at the nou camp and once again against Ecuador.

Don't talk about cr7 he's a finisher, he doesn't create chances or makes play like Messi does
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    They're both amazing players.

ReputationRep:
    Ever? I suppose you could have an argument but you also gotta consider Zidane and others of their generation too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would say Messi is the true GOAT.

ReputationRep:
    William Crozier and Matthew South are the best footballers ever :england::england:
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to Football.

ReputationRep:
    Nicklas Bendtnar is better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Ever? I suppose you could have an argument but you also gotta consider Zidane and others of their generation too.
    Even Zidane himself will tell you he is below that league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalBeams)
    Even Zidane himself will tell you he is below that league.
    I think you find that's called modesty and Messi would say the same thing about himself.

ReputationRep:
    I think you find that's called modesty and Messi would say the same thing about himself.
    No, it is not modesty. It is realisation of facts based on statistics and playing art.

Even Zidane would not dare compare himself to Maradona, who is more of a like for like comparable.

Both Offensive midfielders. Maradona scores like once in every 2 games, Zidane scores once in every 5 games.

Zidane has the ability to dribble you when you try to rush him while he is stationary. Maradona can do that but also while running in full acceleration.

Zidane is a great player, but as I said, not in the leagues of the likes of Messi and Maradona considering what these guys did on the pitch.

Thierry Henry who is more of a like for like comparable with Messi said himself that he classifies Messi as not human. Henry is great player as well with tremendous stats. But nowhere near Messi. Even Ronaldinho would tell you he is nowhere near Messi.

Messi is setting records and doing things in the realms of 'that is impossible'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalBeams)
    No, it is not modesty. It is realisation of facts based on statistics and playing art.

Even Zidane would not dare compare himself to Maradona, who is more of a like for like comparable.

Both Offensive midfielders. Maradona scores like once in every 2 games, Zidane scores once in every 5 games.

Zidane has the ability to dribble you when you try to rush him while he is stationary. Maradona can do that but also while running in full acceleration.

Zidane is a great player, but as I said, not in the leagues of the likes of Messi and Maradona considering what these guys did on the pitch.

Thierry Henry who is more of a like for like comparable with Messi said himself that he classifies Messi as not human. Henry is great player as well with tremendous stats. But nowhere near Messi. Even Ronaldinho would tell you he is nowhere near Messi.

Messi is setting records and doing things in the realms of 'that is impossible'.
    You can quote all the facts you want but no great footballer had ever declared themselves the best out of modesty. I'm not saying Zidane is best and I don't have an opinion really. They are arguments for many players, pele, maradonna, the Ronaldos, Zidane. None of them have ever said they are the best player ever.

ReputationRep:
    the Ronaldos, Zidane. None of them have ever said they are the best player ever.
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/722/la-l...-last-20-years

Not best ever but still saying he is better than Messi, Dinho, R9, Zidane etc.

ReputationRep:
    Heskey deserves a shout too.

ReputationRep:
    Messi's great, but better than Pele?

Maybe, but Pele's got more lifetime goals and 3 World Cup wins, which is 3 more than Messi.

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo's better.

ReputationRep:
    You can quote all the facts you want but no great footballer had ever declared themselves the best out of modesty. I'm not saying Zidane is best and I don't have an opinion really. They are arguments for many players, pele, maradonna, the Ronaldos, Zidane. None of them have ever said they are the best player ever.
    It is not a debate about who has declared to be the best, I am just explaining to you in clear terms those who cannot even be in consideration for GOAT.

There are no arguments for many players. There are arguments for a few that can be counted on fingers on one hand.

ReputationRep:
    Zidane and Messi played against each other several times. I'd say our generation is 90s onward. It's not like we're comparing modern day to pre-War football.

I'm considering all the players I've seen and Zidane isn't in Messi's league, anyway.

(Original post by ThatOldGuy)
    Messi's great, but better than Pele?

Maybe, but Pele's got more lifetime goals and 3 World Cup wins, which is 3 more than Messi.
    So that's it? A 'thousand goals' and three World Cups?

Pele scored 643 goals at club level (in 656 games) and 77 in his international career (in 92 games), Messi has 521 goals from 591 apps at club level and 61 in 121 at international level. So it's not a big difference and Messi will overtake it anyway, and you also have to consider that 1) Pele played in better international teams than Messi has done, and 2) Pele scored those goals against Brazilian teams, Messi has been doing it against Spanish and European sides.

Teams win World Cups, not players. Every single player relies on their team mates, even Pele. You can take it into consideration because Pele still had to make those WC winning squads so he had to be good, but it's not a great argument.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, Pele kinda has.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16661825

When Messi's scored 1,283 goals like me, when he's won three World Cups, we'll talk about it
    People always ask me: 'When is the new Pele going to be born?' Never. My father and mother have closed the factory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Actually, Pele kinda has.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/16661825
    I stand corrected it seems.

And regarding the other post I'm just playing devils advocate. I mean let's face it, we all ain't gonna come to the idea about who it the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Zidane and Messi played against each other several times. I'd say our generation is 90s onward. It's not like we're comparing modern day to pre-War football.

I'm considering all the players I've seen and Zidane isn't in Messi's league, anyway.

So that's it? A 'thousand goals' and three World Cups?

Pele scored 643 goals at club level (in 656 games) and 77 in his international career (in 92 games), Messi has 521 goals from 591 apps at club level and 61 in 121 at international level. So it's not a big difference and Messi will overtake it anyway, and you also have to consider that 1) Pele played in better international teams than Messi has done, and 2) Pele scored those goals against Brazilian teams, Messi has been doing it against Spanish and European sides.

Teams win World Cups, not players. Every single player relies on their team mates, even Pele. You can take it into consideration because Pele still had to make those WC winning squads so he had to be good, but it's not a great argument.
    So all Messi has to do to catch up is make 122 goals in the next 65 matches and 16 goals in the next -29 games(That's negative 29 games, so he has to travel back in time and make the goals in past games to equal Pele).

Look - I'm not saying Messi is great, but to say he is unarguably the greatest player of all time is a bit premature when the only thing you can go on are the stats, of which Pele rocked Messi.

Arguably, the game was harder back when Pele played, too - Ball was harder and heavier, making headers harder and it bent differently so goal-tending was harder back then.

Messi's great, but Pele great? I respectfully disagree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.