Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to Biological Sciences as an undergraduate, but I am considering a future career in medicine. I noticed that none of the natsci personal statements included mention of medicine as a future career path; is there a reason for that? Would mentioning Medicine lower the chance of acceptance?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KikiO15)
    I am applying to Biological Sciences as an undergraduate, but I am considering a future career in medicine. I noticed that none of the natsci personal statements included mention of medicine as a future career path; is there a reason for that? Would mentioning Medicine lower the chance of acceptance?
    It’s really not relevant. You can mention it if you want but it might make you sound naive (if you want to study medicine then they’ll expect you to be applying now - choosing a longer, more expensive and more competitive and difficult route makes it look like you haven’t done much research and are just picking a career out of the air )

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to both a med programme and biological sciences courses; is there any way I should combine them in the PS? Or should I just focus on biology?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I am applying to both a med programme and biological sciences courses; is there any way I should combine them in the PS? Or should I just focus on biology?
    If you're applying for medicine then your PS needs to be 100% focused on medicine. Medicine degrees and careers are not biology focused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    If you're applying for medicine then your PS needs to be 100% focused on medicine. Medicine degrees and careers are not biology focused.
    Even if I'm also applying to biological sciences?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If you apply for a medicine degree with a non medicine PS they will reject you. They have more than enough high quality applicants who are 100% focused on medicine. They don't have the resources to find out whether people not 100% committed to the degree would make good doctors.

ReputationRep:
    When I applied through UCAS (in 2009, mind you - not sure how it's changed since then) I originally applied for the same subject at five universities even though I wanted to apply for different subjects at a couple of them. After application I wrote a second personal statement for the subject I actually wanted to apply for and emailed it to the relevant institutions. I don't recall if I sent this second personal statement before or after an offer was made for the original subject - you might want to check with the institution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    When I applied through UCAS (in 2009, mind you - not sure how it's changed since then) I originally applied for the same subject at five universities even though I wanted to apply for different subjects at a couple of them. After application I wrote a second personal statement for the subject I actually wanted to apply for and emailed it to the relevant institutions. I don't recall if I sent this second personal statement before or after an offer was made for the original subject - you might want to check with the institution.
    Thank you so much!!! This was very helpful ) I'm from the US so it's been really hard trying to figure out an entirely different application system haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.