The Student Room Group

What characteristics do you think are necessary for a strong relationship?

What characteristics do you think are necessary for a strong relationship? Do you possess these characteristics?
The most important - communication. You need to talk to your partner about everything. What you like, what you don't etc. in every aspect to make sure you are both on the same page and happy. You can't gain trust, respect and other important things without communication.
Trust is everything.
What is worse, someone asking for trust and then quite clearly running it all over, or not outrightly asking for it wereby trust is slowly gained which is then run all over.

communication is key to this but so is integrity. Someone could communicate something then do the opposite anyway.
Communication, trust, an attraction, kindness, humour, teamwork and a good mix of both similarities and differences.
Communication, patience and good team work , see things as we not mine and yours. Got married recently so am in a very strong relationship I think.
Trust, communication, security in the relationship, an attraction, empathy to each other and resilience.

Trust your partner, if they say they're going out, just say 'have fun'. Know they won't do anything bad or to endanger the relationship, never look at their phone or judge who they spend time with (don't be blinkered but don't be foolish)

Communicate. Problems, concerns, worries, as well as likes, dislikes, stories, always be talking to them

Security in the relationship. Sort of like trust, if she ignores your message to talk to her friend don't let it bother you - consider it in a greater context. If they normally act really kindly towards you then don't see it as problem. Trust they love you and don't have malicious motives.

Tied to empathy a bit. They ignore you all day because they're fuming they got fired? Let it ride, accept shutting themselves off is how they deal with it and just be there IF they need you.

Resilience. If it ain't broke dont fix it and work hard to fix what is - too many relationships go tits up because people cant be bothered to endure their problems and work through (usually because of lacking one or more of the above traits)

I try to possess these qualities. Sometimes don't quite make it up to scratch but thats being human for ya.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending