Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sparks17)
    to spark a lively discussion maybe...
    Har har.

ReputationRep:
    I simply think that abortions should only be done in the most EXTREME circumstances imaginable, aborting just because the woman wants to continue working or simply isn't ready is stupid, evil and sickening, showing selfishness and inhumanity to the core.
    Our argument isn’t pro choice in any situation, it is pro choice in a quality of life depending situation. This is to say, if a mother (to be) would develop such a poor quality of life that other mental health implications would follow, then abortion should be tolerated.

However, in the case of a woman ‘not being ready’ or ‘wanting to continue to work’, I don’t believe that these are acceptable reasons for abortion, and that alternatives such as adoption or fostering is a better solution- that is if the woman really does not want to keep her child.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloodredbeat)
    Har har.
    why, what do you think my objective is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *joshua*)
    Our argument isn’t pro choice in any situation, it is pro choice in a quality of life depending situation. This is to say, if a mother (to be) would develop such a poor quality of life that other mental health implications would follow, then abortion should be tolerated.

However, in the case of a woman ‘not being ready’ or ‘wanting to continue to work’, I don’t believe that these are acceptable reasons for abortion, and that alternatives such as adoption or fostering is a better solution- that is if the woman really does not want to keep her child.

ReputationRep:
    why, what do you think my objective is?
    I was just curious. I keep getting the idea that this is a "please give me your thoughts and opinions, but ultimately, I am correct" booster.

ReputationRep:
    I was just curious. I keep getting the idea that this is a "please give me your thoughts and opinions, but ultimately, I am correct" booster.
    don't mean to be rude, I could say the same about you.

ReputationRep:
    don't mean to be rude, I could say the same about you.
    You asked a question and I answered. I haven't pushed any of my opinions on you.

ReputationRep:
    I think the child's life is more important than the mother's opinions. I understand the mother may not want the child for some reason, but that's no excuse to kill it. if they really don't want it, can't they put it up for adoption or something?
    What kind of quality of life would a unwanted child have? With IVF treatment now available a lot of infertile couples are adopting less. There are so many children growing up in the care system thanks to unwanted pregnancies.

What then happens is that these children end up getting involved in crime because their disadvantaged background prevents them from doing well in education and so they feel they have no way out. Then they meet a tragic violent end or end up in prison.

Abortion would have prevented them from suffering a life of misery.

ReputationRep:
    Do you people not realise that putting the child up for adoption isn't necessarily the best thing for the child??

ReputationRep:
    I was pro-life for myself and have always been pro-choice for other women. However I was sexually assaulted (I find it very hard to say the R word even now, 7 months later) in March and ended up pregnant. I then went on to have an abortion. What i'm saying here is, you can't know what you believe or what you'd do unless you've been in that situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iexisttocoexist)
    Do you people not realise that putting the child up for adoption isn't necessarily the best thing for the child??
    And by "you people" I hope you mean only those who mentioned it being a choice? :P

My Dad was put up for adoption and then adopted - neither was the best thing for him, at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Pro you-not-posting-any-more-threads
    Why do you not like hearing opinions that you don't agree with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbygal)
    I was pro-life for myself and have always been pro-choice for other women. However I was sexually assaulted (I find it very hard to say the R word even now, 7 months later) in March and ended up pregnant. I then went on to have an abortion. What i'm saying here is, you can't know what you believe or what you'd do unless you've been in that situation.
    I'm awfully sorry to hear of your situation and I really hope you don't think I'm being negative or looking for fisty-cuffs, but I don't necessarily believe that you have to experience something directly to have a grown-up idea on what you'd do or to be able to form an opinion. It's like, when people say, "you can't have an opinion on bringing up a child or dealing with their behaviour when you're not a parent" - I believe you can.

(I really feel like I shouldn't be posting that second bit because I'd hate for you to feel like I'm dismissing what you said - I'm really not and that's not my aim).
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Godofdestruction)
    Why do you not like hearing opinions that you don't agree with?
    The OP hadn't stated any opinion when I posted that.

Why do you assume that I disagree with the OP and not just that I'm bored of his unimaginative trolling attempts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Why do you assume that I disagree with the OP and not just that I'm bored of his unimaginative trolling attempts?
    how on earth am I trolling!? I simply want a discussion to gather people's views.

ReputationRep:
    I'm awfully sorry to hear of your situation and I really hope you don't think I'm being negative or looking for fisty-cuffs, but I don't necessarily believe that you have to experience something directly to have a grown-up idea on what you'd do or to be able to form an opinion. It's like, when people say, "you can't have an opinion on bringing up a child or dealing with their behaviour when you're not a parent" - I believe you can.

(I really feel like I shouldn't be posting that second bit because I'd hate for you to feel like I'm dismissing what you said - I'm really not and that's not my aim).
    What I was trying to get across here is that you can be pro-life but when you're actually in the situation, its a whole different perspective. I 100% agree that you don't have to have had an abortion to have an opinion on it, however you can't say 'I will never have an abortion ever' rather say 'i'd like to think i'd never have an abortion' because most women who have had abortions probably believed they would never have one either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)

Whilst the OP hadn't stated any opinion in the comment you answered to it was clear from the context given that you would disagree with his stance. Being "anti" any threads the user posts is a direct way of saying you wouldn't like his opinions on the subject. And please specify what is trolling about this topic of convocation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbygal)
    What I was trying to get across here is that you can be pro-life but when you're actually in the situation, its a whole different perspective. I 100% agree that you don't have to have had an abortion to have an opinion on it, however you can't say 'I will never have an abortion ever' rather say 'i'd like to think i'd never have an abortion' because most women who have had abortions probably believed they would never have one either.
    It's a very fair statement to make and I completely see where you're coming from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.