Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, i'm 23 and I'm stuck in a weird rut at the moment. Having studied mainly science subjects, with a degree in Animal Science and having done a year at Vet School before dropping out realising it wasn't what I wanted for my life, I'm rediscovering the creative side of me that I had repressed for many years. Back in early highschool I loved drama lessons and loved extra curricular help with one of the drama/music teachers, but science and maths gained importance over singing lessons and so on.

Put simply, i'm now looking to pursue a career in the entertainment industry, I love story telling and my favourite things are movies, tv and video games. A few months ago I took a 10 week acting class by a casting director focused on screen acting and how to use a camera in a scene and I loved it. Unfortunately I cannot afford to continue his lessons this term (hoping to rejoin in Jan 2018), but I've developed such an itch to get back to studying it.

I love to write and really enjoy all aspects in the making of visual storytelling, I know that's where i'm going to end up in my life, be it in TV, film or video games. But the acting itch in me keeps getting stronger and stronger and I'm starting to think I want to study acting on a university level.

Money-wise i'm sure I can use some savings and get help from family if it's needed, but my main questions are; would I be able to apply and audition for an MA in acting like the ones at the Royal Welsh College and Royal Centre of Speech & Drama with my science degree background and lack of experience? I plan on really honing my craft through self study, joining groups and self shooting monologues/own material, however would it be worth studying and MA in acting, and if I needed to would people suggest I go all the way back and do a full BA in acting?

This is all dependant on time, what happens in the future and money obviously but i'd just love some insight from people in the know and possibly people who have has similar routes into the business.

Sorry for the long post, thanks a bunch guys!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ex-thesp here. Are you only interested in acting-for-camera? If I were you I'd get involved in amateur stuff (am-dram theatre, student film productions etc) as a "hobby" for a while. It's a pretty grinding job, and the sheen wears off pretty quick. You'll be better placed to make a decision after doing it for fun for a while. Going in to an MA with some sort of portfolio is a good thing too. I would be surprised if you got accepted on to an MA with no background tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    Ex-thesp here. Are you only interested in acting-for-camera? If I were you I'd get involved in amateur stuff (am-dram theatre, student film productions etc) as a "hobby" for a while. It's a pretty grinding job, and the sheen wears off pretty quick. You'll be better placed to make a decision after doing it for fun for a while. Going in to an MA with some sort of portfolio is a good thing too. I would be surprised if you got accepted on to an MA with no background tbh.
    Thanks for your response! Yeah i know it's not all shiny fun stuff, it's a real grind but almost everything is if you want to take it to a career level I am definitely going to do more hobby stuff to build up a background at the very least, thanks again for your response.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SourMango)
    Hi all, i'm 23 and I'm stuck in a weird rut at the moment. Having studied mainly science subjects, with a degree in Animal Science and having done a year at Vet School before dropping out realising it wasn't what I wanted for my life, I'm rediscovering the creative side of me that I had repressed for many years. Back in early highschool I loved drama lessons and loved extra curricular help with one of the drama/music teachers, but science and maths gained importance over singing lessons and so on.

Put simply, i'm now looking to pursue a career in the entertainment industry, I love story telling and my favourite things are movies, tv and video games. A few months ago I took a 10 week acting class by a casting director focused on screen acting and how to use a camera in a scene and I loved it. Unfortunately I cannot afford to continue his lessons this term (hoping to rejoin in Jan 2018), but I've developed such an itch to get back to studying it.

I love to write and really enjoy all aspects in the making of visual storytelling, I know that's where i'm going to end up in my life, be it in TV, film or video games. But the acting itch in me keeps getting stronger and stronger and I'm starting to think I want to study acting on a university level.

Money-wise i'm sure I can use some savings and get help from family if it's needed, but my main questions are; would I be able to apply and audition for an MA in acting like the ones at the Royal Welsh College and Royal Centre of Speech & Drama with my science degree background and lack of experience? I plan on really honing my craft through self study, joining groups and self shooting monologues/own material, however would it be worth studying and MA in acting, and if I needed to would people suggest I go all the way back and do a full BA in acting?

This is all dependant on time, what happens in the future and money obviously but i'd just love some insight from people in the know and possibly people who have has similar routes into the business.

Sorry for the long post, thanks a bunch guys!
    So do you have an undergraduate degree? From what it says on the MA acting one year courses online of places such as Central, Drama Centre, ALRA etc if you have a degree in an unrelated discipline to acting so something sciencey in your case but have some amateur experience then you are fine to apply. Have you done any thing at all performance related in the past few years? If you have then you’re fine. If you don’t have an undergraduate degree then maybe spend a year doing am-dram, short courses or maybe even a foundation year at a drama school then apply.

I have an undergraduate degree in Chemical Engineering and will be applying this year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.