Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm a BTEC level 3 applied science student, and I was wondering if I could go on to apply for physics at university. I checked the requiremts for UCL, Bristol, Nottingham Trent, keele, etc. They all accept just a BTEC with no a levels required for their course. I was wondering if it would still be a good idea to apply.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely is a good idea to apply. As long as you meet the academic requirements, it doesn't matter what you took. All they want is proof that your maths and physics levels are up to standard. Don't be deterred from applying! There's loads of people with alternative requirements at Bristol (the uni I attend). I also incidentally do Physics, so don't be afraid to ask me any questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pidge Gunderson)
    It definitely is a good idea to apply. As long as you meet the academic requirements, it doesn't matter what you took. All they want is proof that your maths and physics levels are up to standard. Don't be deterred from applying! There's loads of people with alternative requirements at Bristol (the uni I attend). I also incidentally do Physics, so don't be afraid to ask me any questions
    My course has maths and physics units, so I will have to get distinctions in all of them in order to apply. Do you know anyone that does physics who got in via BTEC? Also, would their be anything else outside the entry requirements I would have to do in order to prove my ability for the subject?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for the spelling mistakes everyone, I'm not stupid I swear! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genius kid)
    My course has maths and physics units, so I will have to get distinctions in all of them in order to apply. Do you know anyone that does physics who got in via BTEC? Also, would their be anything else outside the entry requirements I would have to do in order to prove my ability for the subject?
    Yeah there's a few people who got in with BTECs. If your course has enough maths/physics to comfortably cover up to A level standard it's fine.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't know anyone personally, but generally for physics the more maths preparation you have the better. If taking A-level Maths/FM is an option, it might be helpful (also there are a number which accept BTECs but require maths, so that could extend your options for application). If your course covers maths to A-level and is accepted as an equivalent, then consider AS Further Maths, or A-level FM if you really want to. The Further Maths Support Group may be able to help you find teaching resources/tutors and help advising on where you can take the exams if not offered by your school/college.

But that's not really necessary. Some more practical things you could do would be do some practical electronics work and try some programming exercises from the internet (or possibly combine the two, possibly using a raspberry pi to program some simple electronic system or something). Programming and electronics are both very useful for physics, in both theoretical and experimental areas (well, electronics is mainly for experimentalists, but both will do some programming at some point).

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.