Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I graduated with 2.1 in 2003 with a student loan funded degree.

I'm now wanting to do Initial Teacher Training for Primary School starting in 2018 and as I am a single parent I need to be sure of my financial options before applying. I have had a student loan before and haven't been able to pay it back as I have never earned enough.

I need to know if I would qualify for another loan for tuition fees and what other financial help I could apply for because I am the sole wage earner in the house and ITT would mean giving up my job to train full time for the year before hopefully getting a full time teaching job. Both children would be at school and I would probably be paying for childcare at the beginning and end of the school day, for a portion of the week.

All advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farfalla666)
    Hi, I graduated with 2.1 in 2003 with a student loan funded degree.

I'm now wanting to do Initial Teacher Training for Primary School starting in 2018 and as I am a single parent I need to be sure of my financial options before applying. I have had a student loan before and haven't been able to pay it back as I have never earned enough.

I need to know if I would qualify for another loan for tuition fees and what other financial help I could apply for because I am the sole wage earner in the house and ITT would mean giving up my job to train full time for the year before hopefully getting a full time teaching job. Both children would be at school and I would probably be paying for childcare at the beginning and end of the school day, for a portion of the week.

All advice is much appreciated. Thank you.
    Hi Farfalla666,

The funding details for academic year 2018/19 haven't been released yet but if you have a look at the Student Finance Calculator it would give you a good idea of what you may be entitled to based on this years figures.

If you're thinking of a PGCE course with a duration of 2 years or less you are eligible to apply for the Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan, Supplementary Grants & DSA's if applicable regardless of your previous study as long as you do not already hold Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

You would apply using your online student finance account when applications open early next year.

Regards,

Stuart

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.