The Student Room Group

1.5 Mile Treadmill Time Question

The booklet i was sent for Fitness for RAF Halton says 17-24year olds must run their 1.5miles in 15mins 45 seconds, and the RAF website says 14 minutes 24 seconds for airmen/airwoman.

i queried this at the afco. i said to one of the RAF team that i'd heard times for the fitness test has changed and she got out the booklet and said 'it's in here what it is.'

do you guys suggest i go with the booklet? Thing is im trying to get my time down regardless of what one it is, but i can do my 1.5miles in 13 minutes outside, but 14mins 30seconds last week on the treadmill. maybe i was just tired, but i do generally find the treadmill tougher because you aren't 'running anywhere'.

i just don't want to be borderline, but id worry that i 'pass' (i hope) my filter and they set a date for my PJFT and they drop the bombshell that it is actually the website times???

x
Reply 1
Well you have two choices:
1. Go for the booklet time and hope that the website time is not correct or...
2. Go with the website time (which is faster) and will mean that you easily pass if it is the booklet time and have better fitness for when you start.

Seems like a tough choice there.
haha. don;t be mean now. i know i can do the latter and that it makes more sense its just that i'm a bit new to running and i worry that i won't be able to do the website time as soon. i only discovered the website time very recently and have told the fco i'd be ok for the booklet time for a few days after my filter. xx
Reply 3
Well don't push yourself too much, if you need more time then it is probably best to ask the AFCO for a little bit longer.

I am pretty sure that 14:24 is the Green Pass PFT time for females (someone with more PFT knowledge correct me if I'm wrong) and PJFT standards are normally slightly lesser than Green (mainly because training can make you fitter therefore they only need a level of fitness that will ensure that you aren't at risk of injuring yourself - anything extra makes your time easier) so I can see why there is some confusion/difference in what different sources say.

And I completely agree that running on a treadmill is about as fun as it sounds, weird thing is that I seem to find the time goes faster if you measure 2.4 kilometres rather than 1.5 miles (don't ask me why or how).
thanks. speaking of which, i was out today (yes.. on christmas day how dedicated is that) :biggrin: doing my 1.5 miles. lol.

x
PasserBy9
And I completely agree that running on a treadmill is about as fun as it sounds, weird thing is that I seem to find the time goes faster if you measure 2.4 kilometres rather than 1.5 miles (don't ask me why or how).

I agree

It's because if you are clock watching kilometers move faster than miles so it feels like time is going quicker rather than waiting an age for it to move from 1.02 to 1.03 miles ad then realising you have only gone a tenth further haha :biggrin:
InaSpin
I agree

It's because if you are clock watching kilometers move faster than miles so it feels like time is going quicker rather than waiting an age for it to move from 1.02 to 1.03 miles ad then realising you have only gone a tenth further haha :biggrin:

It's worse than that: 1.02 to 1.03 is only one hundredth of a mile further! And only 1/150 of the 1.5 miles! :biggrin:
Reply 7
1.5 mile treadmill times are rather an inaccurate indication of your 1.5 mile time as there's no load. It'll give a rough indication to your endurance though. Easiest way, as i hope most will agree, is to get out there in the open air and run :smile: I did a 14 minute 1.5 mile on a treadmill, but at the IOTFA i did 10:16, go fig! lol
I just hate doing timed run of the treadmill - the sprint at the end is so difficult to manage.
Reply 9
InaSpin
I just hate doing timed run of the treadmill - the sprint at the end is so difficult to manage.

I'm the opposite. I prefer the sprint to the rest of it.
Reply 10
i sprinted the last 200m of my 1.5 mile run on the iotfa and it ended up buggering up my knee lol. Still - i wasn't sick :smile:
lol. yeah i definately find the treadmill boring. i try and do 1.5 miles outside 3x a week, and once on the treadmill so i can keep an eye on my times before my PJFT.

x
Reply 12
Do you do longer runs too? If not I would start. Long runs coupled with interval training should help you get fitter much quicker too. Also, your body might have a bit of a shock when it gets to Halton where, I'm assuming, the runs are longer.

A lot of people focus on practising their 1.5 mile time when they really should be concentrating on overall fitness. I made that mistake. I did long runs too, but probably not enough of them.

But I'm not a physiotherapist or a PTI mind.
thanks for the suggestions. you are right,i do need to do longer runs. i have gone from nothing to starting on my fitness really, so am very basic at the moment although i am getting better and better!

When i feel comfortable at it again.. (i.e. after the christmas food has been digested, hehe) i am gonna give the bleep test a go, and try the long distance thing! oh.. and try out my new running trainers :biggrin:

by the way, can anyone tell me what RTS actually stands for?

x
At a guess... Regiment Training Section/School? Or Recruit Training School/Section? I don't actually know... probably should DOH
hiya,

RTS stands for Recruit Training Squadron. I completed 9wks basic from 22nd Aug - 23rd Oct, its challenging but great times!

For the PJFT I had a max of 14min 20secs to run the 1.5miles. I am 26 yr old female. Oh and it took me 14mins 16secs! I was nackered, lol. Im much fitter now though!

The fitness test within the RAF has changed very recently but Im not sure about the PJFT, its a shame that the AFCO cant give you accurate information!

The adrenaline will kick in when you start running, you'll surprise yourself. Just find out what the time is so that you know the speed you have to run at. Its not a best effort test you just need to come within the time to pass.

Feel free to msg me if you want any more info, ill do my best.

All the best, enjoy Halton its a blast!

Dianne
Original post by Dianne_1981
hiya,

RTS stands for Recruit Training Squadron. I completed 9wks basic from 22nd Aug - 23rd Oct, its challenging but great times!

For the PJFT I had a max of 14min 20secs to run the 1.5miles. I am 26 yr old female. Oh and it took me 14mins 16secs! I was nackered, lol. Im much fitter now though!

The fitness test within the RAF has changed very recently but Im not sure about the PJFT, its a shame that the AFCO cant give you accurate information!

The adrenaline will kick in when you start running, you'll surprise yourself. Just find out what the time is so that you know the speed you have to run at. Its not a best effort test you just need to come within the time to pass.

Feel free to msg me if you want any more info, ill do my best.

All the best, enjoy Halton its a blast!

Dianne

Is 11 years too late?:colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest