Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

urgent question about extenuating circumstances Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

im literally just finishing off my UCAS application and I am applying to Cambridge. I have experienced disruption to my learning at GCSE and at AS due to severe mental illness, severe bullying, etc. and also a bereavement during my GCSEs. all of these things have definitely impacted me, and I would say it has definitely affected my grades too in way that I think I have underachieved.

i asked my form tutor whether she believed it to be appropriate to fill out an extenuating circumstances form for Cambridge. (https://www.undergraduate.study.cam....ances_form.doc)

however, I was told that because i had still met all my predicted grades for GCSE (which were As) and I met my minimum expected grades for AS (which were Bs) there is no need to fill out this form. also i do not have any formal evidence of my mental illness because i have not been formally diagnosed for it, i only receive informal counselling from college for it.

i do feel as if my circumstances have disadvantaged me, and whilst i may appear to have good grades, i still know i underachieved due to these circumstances, especially in Cambridge standards as i only have 3 A*s, for example.

would it be appropriate to try and have this form filled out? or is it something i should just briefly mention on my SAQ instead. i am slightly annoying at this whole situation, because i worked extremely hard despite my terrible circumstances to achieve the grades i did and i do not believe this is being taken into account on my application
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    3 A*s at GCSE **
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I'd say definetly fill in the form

ReputationRep:
    You've got nothing to lose by submitting it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.