The Student Room Group

Are gift cards really the worst gifts?

Okay, so it's my friend's birthday in 2 days and I was planning to order her something to her house (I'm at uni, she's back home) but I got really busy and never decided on something D:
I have the card ready to send her but I'm now thinking of buying a gift card to send with it as I don't want to get her nothing.
Reply 1
It's not the best, it lacks creativity but allows them to get what they want with it (especially if they're quite picky with gifts).
Reply 2
Original post by UWS
It's not the best, it lacks creativity but allows them to get what they want with it (especially if they're quite picky with gifts).

I know but would you rather get a gift card or nothing?
Reply 3
Original post by MeowCat21
I know but would you rather get a gift card or nothing?

Depends how close I was with that friend. I would put more thought into presents if I were close with them.
I think it really depends. I mean, if someone presented me with a gift card for Asda or Argos, I'd be like "eh what?" but if it was for somewhere I would actually shop - HMV, H&M, etc. - and allowed me to pick something that I really liked or wanted, then that's fair enough.

If you have no time and a gift card if your best option at the moment, just explain to her in a wee laughable letter that "I wanted to order your something specifically but it wouldn't have come in time - I hope you'll be able to get something that you really want with this" or whatever.
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
Depends how close I was with that friend. I would put more thought into presents if I were close with them.

I normally go crazy with presents but I'm normally there :biggrin:
Why a gift card? Cash has greater reaches!
I think it depends. I sometimes want things that are more than people are willing to spend; so a gift card for part of what I want is fine.
Reply 8
Gift cards are pointless when you could just give someone cash, which is better as they have more choice.
Okay, so it's my friend's birthday in 2 days and I was planning to order her something to her house (I'm at uni, she's back home) but I got really busy and never decided on something D:
I have the card ready to send her but I'm now thinking of buying a gift card to send with it as I don't want to get her nothing.

Not really but unless your friend has a penchant for G cards, then have a word with her and ive her the option. G Card or one chosen by you but a little late.

I can see how a gift card is seen as not a personal gift. However, I love gift cards. I'd rather be in control of what I can spend money on than getting items I didn't pick out myself that I "might" like.
I mean, yeah. Gift cards can be very plain and unless it's a gift card for a store they always go to it can be kinda useless. However, if it's between that and straight cash I'd definitely say get them a gift card. Giving someone straight cash could seem a little condescending - unless they're family - compared to a gift card, I guess.
If it was someone close like my parents, boyfriend or sister, I'd expect them to know the things I like and what to get me. But if it was someone I didn't know that well, a gift card would be fine. It means you're not getting an unwanted present, after all, and you've shown you still care enough to spend money on them. Just make sure it's for a shop she actually uses.
I'd be happy if I got a gift card for my birthday. After all, it's still money you can buy things with. If you're friend is someone who is generally grateful and not picky then itd be okay

It's fine if you don't know each other terribly well or there isn't really anything else to get them, but if they are a friend it lacks the thought and creativity that makes a gift special.
I would say it's better to get them an actual thing and say it will be coming later. Or at least get them a gift card that's more meaningful and thought about (like if you know they really like a specific shop, but can't usually afford it). That or get a little something more personal to go with the gift card.

Some people are more fussed by the thought than others though and some people would be totally fine (or even pleased) with a gift card. It depends a lot on what your friend is like.

Quick Reply