Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

4th a level for medicine, economics or physics?URGENT! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think choose economics physics a level is a VERY hard a level and you would aldready be at a disadvantage for missing a topic and as u are aldready not sure about choosing i dont think u shud pick it at all its not a easy subject i wouod say only do physics if u really really love it and genuinly want to do it, also im sure universities like UCL and cambridge would MUCHHH prefer seeing amazing results rather than a okay'ish grade in physics over an A* in economics. Physics is very hard to even get an A in, getting a bad grade looks badder than having a somewhat "soft subject".
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GANFYD)
    Not checked UCLs admission criteria since change to linear A levels, so may well be different, was still there last year, but if you have read and it's not this year, then they have changed it
    Ah ok. On their admissions website they say they prefer an EPQ but there's no mention of an extra curricular subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GANFYD)
    Right, that's one, what are the rest of them?

And to put what you have posted in context, it follows on form this:

• "If Biology has not been passed at Higher or A-Level this subject must normally have been passed as indicated under entry requirements.
      A good pass in Combined or Dual Science at GCSE may be accepted instead of a single GCSE pass in Biology.
      A Physics qualification is not an entry requirement. However, knowledge of Physics is helpful to students on the course."

Which I would interpret them as implying a knowledge at GCSE level would be adequate, as it is in a section where they comment that GCSE Biology would be adequate. Certainly doesn't state an A level would be useful.
    Anyway, this is irrelevant to the original question, so if you just let us know what other med schools have said they feel Physics beyond GCSE would be beneficial, THAT may help OP to decide
    Well, I've got another one, kinda, it's pretty bad tho.
    https://gyazo.com/6a92aee15741d2da687c1c4d79fe9da6 I assume "Ordinary" level is GCSE? (still says physics is at least a little useful)
    so I guess you're right there but still. Its up to him if he wants to do physics or economics, will just be what's easier for him.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Thank you for your advice.So they won't care if I do economics as my 4th then,even though it's a soft subject (Cambridge/Imperial),Im also doing biology,chemistry and maths.
    Economics is not "soft" and no they won't care anyway. However it's much more important to do well in your main 3. To be clear, I'm recommending you don't do more than 3. If necessary ask to do an EPQ rather than a 4th subject that may distract you and will be of little benefit anyway.

A*A*A is *much* better than A*AAB....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    What universities did you apply to, and what about imperial?Do you think Cambridge will not look at me favourably because economics is soft and not that hard and it's not facilitating or do you think they wouldn't care at all?
    Im applying to UCL, imperial, Kings and Edinburgh.

In terms of Oxbridge, I can't comment on cambridge as I haven't been and am not applying but i know that oxford don't really have a preference. On their admission stats website they say that for medicine 2% of applicants had economics as an a level, 10% had a language etc. 19% did all 3 sciences and maths. I've attached a screen shot.
    Attachment 695464

If you are really worried, just call up the admissions department at cambridge and they will give you a concrete answer.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    So what's happened then OP lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    Not really there are areas of crossover like a 6th of maths is similar to like an 8th of physics (basic mechanics) and a couple things that that in both chemistry and physics but mostly they are different subjects. I'd say rather than the slight overlap, the advantage to maths, phys and chem is that they all reinforce each other and require similar skills.
    Mechanics is 1/3 the AS at least and 1/4 of the new A level maths (reformed).
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appleorpear)
    Mechanics is 1/3 the AS at least and 1/4 of the new A level maths (reformed).
    No it's still 1/6th of maths, 6 hours of exams and 1 hours worth for mechanics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.