Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

PTL1 form changing account from Wales to England and further questions Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I have filled out and sent a PTL1 form to Student Finance in Darlington.
    This was required as my University want means test information in order to means test me for me bursary and my previous Student finance account was under Student finance Wales.

My question is what do I need to do next as I didn't give any household income information in this form that is needed for the bursary means testing and I do not have/or want any tuition fee or maintenance grants through student finance so this information will not be on the system?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh51)
    Hi

I have filled out and sent a PTL1 form to Student Finance in Darlington.
    This was required as my University want means test information in order to means test me for me bursary and my previous Student finance account was under Student finance Wales.

My question is what do I need to do next as I didn't give any household income information in this form that is needed for the bursary means testing and I do not have/or want any tuition fee or maintenance grants through student finance so this information will not be on the system?
    Hi ajh51,

I would advise you to query what happens next with your university.

Like you say, the form you've submitted doesn't require any household income details so I'm unsure why they've advised you to use that particular form.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stuart SFE)
    Hi ajh51,

I would advise you to query what happens next with your university.

Like you say, the form you've submitted doesn't require any household income details so I'm unsure why they've advised you to use that particular form.

Regards,

Stuart
    Hi Stuart

It was SFE who advised me to complete this form over the phone when I requested advise on how to be means tested on house income without a SFE account... in this case, please can I ask an additional question.....

How do I go about getting means tested on my household income information now that I should have been transferred from a Student finance Wales to SFE account through the PTL1 form but do not receive any tuition/maintenance loans, so this information will not already be on your system?

Kind regards
    Amanda

ReputationRep:
    http://bit.ly/Oty2LV
    (Original post by ajh51)
    Hi Stuart

It was SFE who advised me to complete this form over the phone when I requested advise on how to be means tested on house income without a SFE account... in this case, please can I ask an additional question.....

How do I go about getting means tested on my household income information now that I should have been transferred from a Student finance Wales to SFE account through the PTL1 form but do not receive any tuition/maintenance loans, so this information will not already be on your system?

Kind regards
    Hi Amanda,

Apologies, from the wording of your original post I assumed the university had given you the advice.

Once you have been transferred to SFE you would need to submit an 'Include Household Income' form and a PFF2 form. Both are available to print from here.

When submitting the forms you should also enclose a cover letter with your name, customer reference number and a brief explanation of why you are submitting the forms.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    http://bit.ly/Oty2LV

Hi Amanda,

Apologies, from the wording of your original post I assumed the university had given you the advice.

Once you have been transferred to SFE you would need to submit an 'Include Household Income' form and a PFF2 form. Both are available to print from here.

When submitting the forms you should also enclose a cover letter with your name, customer reference number and a brief explanation of why you are submitting the forms.

Regards,

Stuart
    Hi Stuart

That is great I will print and send those asap.

Last question: How will I know when the account has been transferred to SFE? Will I receive an email or anything from SFE?

Kind regards
    Amanda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh51)
    Hi Stuart

Last question: How will I know when the account has been transferred to SFE? Will I receive an email or anything from SFE?

Kind regards
    Amanda
    Hi Amanda,

We wouldn't contact when the transfer has been completed but once your application has been processed you'll receive a notification of entitlement.

Your customer reference number won't change so you can use that on the forms and letter when completing them.

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh51)
    Hi Stuart

Kind regards
    Amanda
    Also looking at the PFF2 form, I no longer live with my parents or a partner and am not dependant on their income, I live by myself (ie. I own my accommodation independently) and have my own income that is my 'household income' therefore do I have to send this form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh51)
    Also looking at the PFF2 form, I no longer live with my parents or a partner and am not dependant on their income, I live by myself (ie. I own my accommodation independently) and have my own income that is my 'household income' therefore do I have to send this form?
    Hi Amanda,

Are you under 25?

Thanks,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amanda,

Are you under 25?

Thanks,

Stuart
    Yes I am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh51)
    Yes I am.
    Hi Amanda,

If you are under 25, not married or in a civil partnership, have no dependent children, and have not supported yourself financially for at least three years before the start of your course we would class you as a dependent student

Dependent students are required to have their sponsor(s) provide their financial details for the requested tax year in order for the your application to be means tested.

We can class you as an independent student if you are under 25 and:
    - married/divorced
    - have care of a child
    - are married or in a civil partnership
    - have no living parents
    - are irreconcilably estranged from your parents
    - have been the subject of a care order
    - cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

You can also be considered independent if you supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study.

The three years can include periods when you were:

- In paid full-time employment
    - In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    - In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    - Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

Regards,

Stuart

ReputationRep:
    Hi Amanda,

If you are under 25, not married or in a civil partnership, have no dependent children, and have not supported yourself financially for at least three years before the start of your course we would class you as a dependent student

Dependent students are required to have their sponsor(s) provide their financial details for the requested tax year in order for the your application to be means tested.

We can class you as an independent student if you are under 25 and:
    - married/divorced
    - have care of a child
    - are married or in a civil partnership
    - have no living parents
    - are irreconcilably estranged from your parents
    - have been the subject of a care order
    - cannot find their parents or it's not reasonably practical to get in touch with them

You can also be considered independent if you supported themselves financially for at least three years prior to the start of study.

The three years can include periods when you were:

- In paid full-time employment
    - In receipt of Income Support, JSA or other state benefits paid to a person who is registered as unemployed
    - In receipt of incapacity benefits, invalidity pension or maternity allowance
    - Receiving training under any scheme for the unemployed or other funding by any state authority or agency

Regards,

Stuart
    This year my independent income has changed by more than 5% and this would be my third year in paid full time employment. In this case can I claim this year to be my third paid full-time employment year and give evidence at end of year rather than submitting the PFF2 form?

Kind regards
    Amanda

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajh51)
    This year my independent income has changed by more than 5% and this would be my third year in paid full time employment. In this case can I claim this year to be my third paid full-time employment year and give evidence at end of year rather than submitting the PFF2 form?

Kind regards
    Amanda
    Hi Amanda,

If you are under 25, not married of have children and wish to be assessed as financially independent you need to provide evidence that you have supported yourself financially for at least three years BEFORE the first academic year of your course, in order that we would class you as an dependent student.

If accepted and you are assessed as independent, the only income we would ask for each year is if you were to have any unearned income and we will not ask for your income from employment.

If assessed as independant, under 25, you will automatically be assessed on a zero income, for the maximum support.
    Any income from student part time jobs, summer jobs is not taken into account.

Thanks Rona

Submit reply
TSR Support Team
Updated: October 14, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.