Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I love my boyfriend of 6 years, but want more life experience Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by worry347)
    i feel like the fact reading this broke my heart to think of it might be telling me something
    Thats a good thing as it shows that you really do care about him etc

From what you have said (including the quoted part) you should sit down and really think about if it is YOU that wants a break etc or if it is just pressure and judgement from other people (even if this is from people you class as friends it is completely wrong and as I said before they may be projecting their jealously onto you and your relationship) as if it is the latter you either need to tell them to keep their opinions to themselves or cut them out of your life (as they are most likely toxic friends)

My advice is that you really think about it before suggesting a break etc to make sure it is what you want (and you can live with the outcome of that) as once you have suggested it, the decision on what happens after that is totally out of your hands.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What the hell is wrong with those people? Such terrible opinions to have, ignore them all
    what would you suggest then

ReputationRep:
    You've got something good. Trust me, it's hard to find loyal people who you can be with and trust these days. So many people just want to fu ck around because it's seen as a fun thing to do and the 'thing' u should be doing whilst ur young. Don't get pressured to beleive that this is what u should be doing too. After fu cking around, many people just feel like **** and miserable and wished they had what u had.

Its better to Be with one person who u can trust and rely and who respects and values u rather than experimenting with people who couldn't give a sh it about u

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...ldless-42.html

I'll just leave this here....

ReputationRep:
    Wow I honestly thought my contribution would be helpful. I'm really sorry if it wasn't. I hope with whatever you decide you and your boyfriend are both happy, together or apart. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    From personal experience these feelings don't go away. They just get stronger. It will get to the point where you have to take action. You're very young to be in such a serious relationship, do you think you'll regret it if you don't spend time being "single"? Do you think you're still together as you've just grown into each other and really someone else may be a better fit? Do you feel like you've lost some of your identity and by being single you might regain this and realise what you really want in life?

ReputationRep:
    Open relationship my dude

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone for replies so far.

to be honest, i have to say that i never felt like this until the past year. I always felt like i didnt need those other experiences because i was the luckiest girl ever to have a great relationship. But, ive been struggling with other peoples' judgements. Almost every week i have another person tell me im missing out on this or that experience, or its weird to be in such a long-term relationship or to have only dated one person, or people even tell me that i "cant" know if i love someone if ive only dated one person
    The minute you start letting other people have a say on your relationship that is when it all goes wrong. If you’ve got a good thing why let it go. You are not missing out on anything by not sleeping around, having fun as a young person does not always have to include that. And also why get into a relationship if you don’t see a long term future for it. I suggest you stick it out if there aren’t any real problems- but hey that’s just my opinion

ReputationRep:
    You're not missing out on much in regards to single life at uni, most people just have a bunch of awkward ONSs and the odd disappoint fwb and come out of uni having learned nothing. I think it's quite a shame you're giving into peer pressure tbh.

ReputationRep:
    hi all, this is a difficult one to explain but ill try keep it short and simple.

Have been with my boyfriend for 6 years, since i was just 14. we have never taken a break or been on/off before. i love him to pieces and we are best mates. However, because we met so young, and are now 20 and 21, neither of us have had single life experience, dated anyone else, kissed anyone else, slept with anyone else, etc etc.

I love him and have no reason to want to end things - we have grown up together and have loads in common, we study the same subject, but at different unis, and see one another around once a week on average. However, as ive grown into an adult, i am beginning to wonder about general life experience and am worried that i shouldnt settle down with one single person, possibly for life, judging by the way that it has been going, when ive had no other experiences with single life/dating, etc.

What should i do? any advice would be really appreciated or from anyone who has gone through similar. Also, i have already told him all of the above. He was really understanding and said he sees what i mean, but still loves me too, like i do him. We just dont know where to take it from here

thanks in advance <3
    I think I understand what you mean but you both love each other. And lot of people settle down or go out with only one guy forever. You're not really missing much. I mean yeah it's good to see how dating other people works and feels like but you have got the man you want to be with and who loves you and understands you. Who else do you need?

ReputationRep:

to be honest, i have to say that i never felt like this until the past year. I always felt like i didnt need those other experiences because i was the luckiest girl ever to have a great relationship. But, ive been struggling with other peoples' judgements. Almost every week i have another person tell me im missing out on this or that experience, or its weird to be in such a long-term relationship or to have only dated one person, or people even tell me that i "cant" know if i love someone if ive only dated one person
    I've been in a relationship since I was 15. I'm 23 now, and I have absolutely no regrets. My friends at uni often say to me that I'm very lucky to have found what I have! Just ignore those people - I've had a fair few people in my life (including one of my old best friends) say much of the same thing in the past, but I chose to pay it no attention and I'm very happy I did! (And needless to say, the people who said those things are no longer in my life!)

All the best, I hope things work out!

ReputationRep:

So you're letting peer pressure adversely effect your relationship?

Everyone misses out on experiences by their choices, do you think their experiences are better than yours? They're missing out on a stable and loving relationship - do you want to throw that away to do whatever they're doing?

Honestly you need to grow up a little bit and tell them to f**k off and explain you don't miss the opportunities they have because they suck in comparison - unless you really do want to do whatever they're doing more than keep what you have in which case you can either (a) discuss an open relationship with your bf, or (b) leave him. Both of these run a risk of losing him. By the tone of it I'd say you need to do the former and not let their judgments effect you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.