Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

17 years old, it's October, and i'm still not back in education!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Not to sound extremely arrogant, but I got really good GCSEs (9As, and a B), I have a car license, I've got 4 years of work experience in 4 different jobs, and my CV is great. That's really not the issue.

I wanted to study mechanics, so I joined a college and started a level 3 motor vehicle technology course, however this is the only motor vehicle technology course within an hour and a half drive from my house. When I got there they dropped me to a level 2 (because they couldn't be bothered to teach me the level 2 stuff, even though it's nested within the level 3). The college completely ****ed me over.

So i couldn't do motor vehicle technology level 3, and I really didnt see the point in doing a level 2, but there's another qualification (light vehicle maintenance and repair) which is equally as good.

This course is available on an apprenticeship as a 3 year course, or at college on a 2 year course. I'd much rather go the apprenticeship route.

However the academic year has already started and there are no more apprenticeship vacancies available. I really don't want to join a random garage, or go to college - however the more desirable positions I.e. Jaguar and Audi have told me that they have no space until the next academic year. For the job I want when I'm older, working at KIA or Hyundai really won't have the same relevancy, nor will it give me the same experience.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but the whole situation feels really unfair, and this wouldn't have happened if the college wasn't so stupid about making people start the qualifications from the bottom. i couldn't have foreseen this, and now I'm stuck.

I've already wasted a year by dropping out of A levels, and I really can't afford to miss another.
    Is there anyway to get a hold of a good apprenticeship this late into the year? There are some vacancies still available, but they're an hour away without traffic. I've tried contacting local dealerships personally and they just keep telling me that they're not currently hiring, and that I have to wait til next year.

Btw I live in Birmingham. I'm so mad & lost at this point that I really don't know what to do. I've applied for loads.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OnePrettyFlyGuy)
    Not to sound extremely arrogant, but I got really good GCSEs (9As, and a B), I have a car license, I've got 4 years of work experience in 4 different jobs, and my CV is great. That's really not the issue.

I wanted to study mechanics, so I joined a college and started a level 3 motor vehicle technology course, however this is the only motor vehicle technology course within an hour and a half drive from my house. When I got there they dropped me to a level 2 (because they couldn't be bothered to teach me the level 2 stuff, even though it's nested within the level 3). The college completely ****ed me over.

So i couldn't do motor vehicle technology level 3, and I really didnt see the point in doing a level 2, but there's another qualification (light vehicle maintenance and repair) which is equally as good.

This course is available on an apprenticeship as a 3 year course, or at college on a 2 year course. I'd much rather go the apprenticeship route.

However the academic year has already started and there are no more apprenticeship vacancies available. I really don't want to join a random garage, or go to college - however the more desirable positions I.e. Jaguar and Audi have told me that they have no space until the next academic year. For the job I want when I'm older, working at KIA or Hyundai really won't have the same relevancy, nor will it give me the same experience.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but the whole situation feels really unfair, and this wouldn't have happened if the college wasn't so stupid about making people start the qualifications from the bottom. i couldn't have foreseen this, and now I'm stuck.

I've already wasted a year by dropping out of A levels, and I really can't afford to miss another.
    Is there anyway to get a hold of a good apprenticeship this late into the year? There are some vacancies still available, but they're an hour away without traffic. I've tried contacting local dealerships personally and they just keep telling me that they're not currently hiring, and that I have to wait til next year.

Btw I live in Birmingham. I'm so mad & lost at this point that I really don't know what to do. I've applied for loads.
    This is not really my area of expertise but the one thing I can think of is tagging in Apprenticeships Advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zyzzyspirit)
    Just study and do your A-Levels all at once this summer, don't be a pussy
    funny
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    My honest advise as a 26 year old is that I wouldn't worry yourself too much as youre still very young. I went 6th form, got quals which i will never use, wasted another two years after that then finally got a decent nt job at 21 and worked up from there. If you can't get what you want this year make sure everything is in place for next year and enjoy yourself, get out there maybe get another part time job or travel a bit. Just make the most it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.