Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Experienced traveller - where should I go next? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Countries that interest me are: Nicaragua, Guatemala, Sri Lanka, Montenegro, New Zealand. Just trying to decide which to go to!

I've done already: Thailand (6 months), Cambodia (3 weeks), Vietnam (1 month), Laos (1 month), Singapore (1 week), Philippines (3 weeks). I've travelled a lot with family in many other countries (just over 30 countries now) as I was lucky enough to live in Asia and Africa when younger.

Ideally I'd like to go somewhere that's cheap for the total cost (flight and travelling money), warmish weather (although doesn't have to be so hot i'm sweating all the time), sporty and adventurous, plenty of things to do (i hate sitting in places bored), close together (i hate spending my time backpacking on long journeys all the time), something different and out of the ordinary from home, health (i put a lot of focus into healthy habits).

ReputationRep:
    Wow - I recommend the Carribean. Beautiful islands, good food, good music + culture - though I’m slightly biased. Have a look for yourself anyway.

South america? Heading into their summer season now too?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by lnicholson88)
      South america? Heading into their summer season now too?
      I don't speak Spanish which would make the trip harder, plus I think Central American countries interest me more. Plus they're smaller so easier to travel.

ReputationRep:
      Can't recommend Costa Rica enough.

Maybe not right now (it's the rainy season), but certainly from late December through to July.

ReputationRep:
      Central America looks incredible - my friend is there at the moment (costa rica and nicaragua) and having a great time. South American is also on my bucket list - particularly Peru and Bolivia

I've been to Sri Lanka, also an amazing place though I didn't get to fully appreciate as I was working out there. Beautiful beaches and lots of ruins/temples to explore and lots of surfing and water sports in certain areas also its very cheap once you're out there. Make sure you go at the right time of year though as I think it's best to go to the east coast in the summer and the west coast in the winter. (I did it the other way round and we had quite a lot of heavy rain but it wasn't anything extreme). Downside of Sri Lanka is it takes ages to get anywhere if you wanted to travel across the country - expect a few 8 hour bus journeys standing up with your head in someone's armpit. Lol.

Also been to Montenegro very briefly - only stayed in Kotor which was lovely and there were lots of cats didn't see any other towns. Worth a visit but maybe not for a long trip, could certainly do a lot in a week or even long weekend. It's pretty expensive if you eat out though.

How did you find cambodia? I'm considering it next year. Did want to go to Myanmar but not sure about the political climate out there at the moment plus it seems expensive and less choice with accommodation etc as it's not as touristy as the other SE Asian countries.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
      Central America looks incredible - my friend is there at the moment (costa rica and nicaragua) and having a great time. South American is also on my bucket list - particularly Peru and Bolivia

I've been to Sri Lanka, also an amazing place though I didn't get to fully appreciate as I was working out there. Beautiful beaches and lots of ruins/temples to explore and lots of surfing and water sports in certain areas also its very cheap once you're out there. Make sure you go at the right time of year though as I think it's best to go to the east coast in the summer and the west coast in the winter. (I did it the other way round and we had quite a lot of heavy rain but it wasn't anything extreme). Downside of Sri Lanka is it takes ages to get anywhere if you wanted to travel across the country - expect a few 8 hour bus journeys standing up with your head in someone's armpit. Lol.

Also been to Montenegro very briefly - only stayed in Kotor which was lovely and there were lots of cats didn't see any other towns. Worth a visit but maybe not for a long trip, could certainly do a lot in a week or even long weekend. It's pretty expensive if you eat out though.

How did you find cambodia? I'm considering it next year. Did want to go to Myanmar but not sure about the political climate out there at the moment plus it seems expensive and less choice with accommodation etc as it's not as touristy as the other SE Asian countries.
      THanks for al the info.. really useful!

Personally I loved Cambodia. It was one of my favourite places I've been to. However many people who travel there don't seem to like it. Everyone I ask says it was their least favourite place in Asia they visited but for me it was one of my favourites - if not THE favourite.

I liked how close and compact it is. You can get to anywhere in the country in a short space of time. Also in Phnom Penh everywhere is close together too which is nice. The restaurants on the waterfront in Phnom Penh are great. I found the people amazing and really friendly. Some of the islands off sihanoukville are beautiful - I preferred them to thailand's beaches as they were quieter, more secluded and more beautiful. The sand squeaks when u walk on it and the seawater is like swimming at a spa. so relaxing. For me as a traveller I see things quickly and move on and Cambodia is great for that. If I spent months there though I would be bored.

ReputationRep:
      Walk across northern Spain on the Camino de Santiago? Various roues available. Incredibly social and historical.

Drive around the USA? Could even extend to Mexico.

ReputationRep:
      Of the ones you mentioned, I've been to Sir Lanka and Montenegro. Both are really nice, but for Montenegro I would recommend a rental car.

Other than that, I can also recommend Costa Rica as mentioned by TattyBoJangles. Many national parks, endless activities, nice beaches, safe... And it's possible without speaking Spanish. Most of them speak basic English.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vindobona)
      Of the ones you mentioned, I've been to Sir Lanka and Montenegro. Both are really nice, but for Montenegro I would recommend a rental car.

Other than that, I can also recommend Costa Rica as mentioned by TattyBoJangles. Many national parks, endless activities, nice beaches, safe... And it's possible without speaking Spanish. Most of them speak basic English.
      I realise they are very different but which do you prefer out of Sri Lanka and Montenegro?
      Also which did your money go further in?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dylantombides)
      I realise they are very different but which do you prefer out of Sri Lanka and Montenegro?
      Also which did your money go further in?
      To be honest (and maybe somewhat surprisingly) I prefer Montenegro. It feels free, open-minded, and is easy to travel around independently (with a car). I travelled along the entire coast, but also to Durmitor national park which is nowhere near the coast. Nice beaches, nice mountains, nice roads and nice accommodations (e.g. AirBnb). Everything was smooth and easy, whereas Sri Lanka is more chaotic and stressful, IMO.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Vindobona)
      To be honest (and maybe somewhat surprisingly) I prefer Montenegro. It feels free, open-minded, and is easy to travel around independently (with a car). I travelled along the entire coast, but also to Durmitor national park which is nowhere near the coast. Nice beaches, nice mountains, nice roads and nice accommodations (e.g. AirBnb). Everything was smooth and easy, whereas Sri Lanka is more chaotic and stressful, IMO.
      Thanks. Having travelled a lot of SEA I know where you're coming from regarding travelling being more chaotic and stressful!

How long were you in Montenegro for and more importantly how long would you recommend to go for?

ReputationRep:
      I was gonna suggest Cambodia but noticed you already have it on your list. South Korea is pretty nice.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.