Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To do well on GCSEs, do you just need to memorise the information? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Or are the 9-1 GCSEs so hard you can't just memorise it, and you have to do other things to ace them?

By the way, I'm in Y10 and take them in 2019.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anthos)
    Or are the 9-1 GCSEs so hard you can't just memorise it, and you have to do other things to ace them?

By the way, I'm in Y10 and take them in 2019.
    Pretty much. It would be a good idea to print of the spec for your subjects and go through it when you're revising to make sure you're covering everything.

However for some subjects (History, RE, English Lit, any essay subject really) you do have to have decent essay writing skills to reach the top grades.

Make sure to practice with as many past papers as possible and go through mark schemes and examiner reports too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lxlxlee)
    Pretty much. It would be a good idea to print of the spec for your subjects and go through it when you're revising to make sure you're covering everything.

However for some subjects (History, RE, English Lit, any essay subject really) you do have to have decent essay writing skills to reach the top grades.

Make sure to practice with as many past papers as possible and go through mark schemes and examiner reports too
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think their putting more emphasis on applying knowledge, especially in the sciences, but if you know all the information well it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Abso-frickin-lutely

Take it from me, the brunt of my cramming was the night before and on the day of, my English Literature exam.

I got a 9 overall.

Don't try it at A Level though.

ReputationRep:
    currently in year 11- when i do my gcses next year i'll let you know lmao. but yeah there's a crap ton you need to memorise, but i think applying knowledge is a more substantial area of gcses, so practice papers are important and so are exam questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    currently in year 11- when i do my gcses next year i'll let you know lmao. but yeah there's a crap ton you need to memorise, but i think applying knowledge is a more substantial area of gcses, so practice papers are important and so are exam questions.
    Indeed! I have to remember so much for History (The Norman Conquest, Nazi Germany, Crime and Punishment, Making of America, and a case study!).
    And the sciences too.

(Original post by AryanGh)
    Abso-frickin-lutely

Take it from me, the brunt of my cramming was the night before and on the day of, my English Literature exam.

I got a 9 overall.

Don't try it at A Level though.
    In Lit, you have to remember so many quotes because you don't know what they'll ask about! What info did you cram that led you to doing so well? Did you remember the plot, how the characters are portrayed, quotes, etc?

(Original post by HockeyTilly)
    I think their putting more emphasis on applying knowledge, especially in the sciences, but if you know all the information well it should be fine.
    I agree!

ReputationRep:
    Mainly the sciences. For history and english, you really need to have an aptitude in writing to achieve. If you rely solely on memory, then I'm afraid you won't get very far. Maths in particular, you will struggle with only memorization, you will actually need practice and aptitude in the subject.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.