Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My mum wouldn't let me take Health and Social care in GCSE, despite my school offering it as an option. My local college has it a an option, but I'm not sure if I will be able to take it, as I didn't do it at GCSE. I want to be a midwife and think that it would help me out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Look at the course requirements page either in the prospectus or website and it should say if you needed to have studied it prior. If you needed to have a previous H&SC study you could do the level two and then progress onto the level 3. Also look on UCAS at different Midwifery courses and see if they have any preferences to A Levels studied before you consider the H&SC course.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure whether it was only my college but we were able to chose any sudject we liked with no requirements other than to actually get into the college itself. They let us chose what we wanted to study as a way for us to explore new subjects that we may not a have had the chance to study at school, I'm pretty sure most colleges are pretty laid back when it comes to choosing your study, like I said as long as you get the requirements to get into the college itself you are basically free to chose what you want to do ☺️

I never done psychology before at GCSE but was able to take it at a level.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You’ll definitely be able to do it - at loads of schools health & social care isn’t even an option at GCSE, so they couldn’t make it a compulsory requirement.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I'm confused. I know I should take Level 2 Health and Social Care because I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject (I didn't have the option at GCSE's)... However, if someone was to explain to me what Level 3 H&SC Diploma and Certificate are, then I would reconsider. Because I'm quite a high achiever in my GCSE subjects right now (B's and A/A*'s, with one C)... so I could take the Level 3... but which one should I choose if that was the case?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dreame)
    Guys, I'm confused. I know I should take Level 2 Health and Social Care because I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject (I didn't have the option at GCSE's)... However, if someone was to explain to me what Level 3 H&SC Diploma and Certificate are, then I would reconsider. Because I'm quite a high achiever in my GCSE subjects right now (B's and A/A*'s, with one C)... so I could take the Level 3... but which one should I choose if that was the case?
    Level 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    Level 3
    Sorry, maybe I didn't specify what I was trying to say... I meant - should I take Lvl 3 Certificate or Diploma?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, maybe I didn't specify what I was trying to say... I meant - should I take Lvl 3 Certificate or Diploma?
    It depends what else you are doing - the diploma is the same level of difficulty but twice the size of the certificate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Compost)
    It depends what else you are doing - the diploma is the same level of difficulty but twice the size of the certificate.
    I'm also planning to take Sociology and Psychology! I might take Biology as my fourth choice if I take the certificate H&SC as my third.

ReputationRep:
    If you do the level 3 diploma (considering it is the extended one) you usually just do that as it is the equivalent of 3 A Levels thus you won't have the time to do Psych and Sociology. The certificate would have to be taken along side A Levels to allow you to attend a university. Both are the same level of difficulty but it just depends if you are adamant you want to study Psychology and Sociology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kayleighisonfire)
    If you do the level 3 diploma (considering it is the extended one) you usually just do that as it is the equivalent of 3 A Levels thus you won't have the time to do Psych and Sociology. The certificate would have to be taken along side A Levels to allow you to attend a university. Both are the same level of difficulty but it just depends if you are adamant you want to study Psychology and Sociology.
    I've made up my choices today - I am quite adamant on Psychology and Sociology, and I'll be taking Biology too - my final choice is Fine Art... which is random, but I chose it because I enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    I've made up my choices today - I am quite adamant on Psychology and Sociology, and I'll be taking Biology too - my final choice is Fine Art... which is random, but I chose it because I enjoy it!
    Good choices, I checked a couple of university admissions and both required a social science or bio/phsyics or chem. Good luck

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.