Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fear of doing bad in first univeristy essay Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm well through what i'm writing and I think most of my stuff in the essay is relevant, however I just have this fear I will get below 40%. The essay is 40% of the module and 1st year is only 10% of the degree.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Mitt1)
    I'm well through what i'm writing and I think most of my stuff in the essay is relevant, however I just have this fear I will get below 40%. The essay is 40% of the module and 1st year is only 10% of the degree.
    Well the alternative is not to write anything and thats a guaranteed 100% of nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitt1)
    Go to your tutor and ask them to read it through - they may be able to give some advice. Obviously if it's really close to the deadline this will probably not be possible.

However it's very unlikely that your essay will be terrible. My first essay was formative and I barely tried - it was about 1000 of a 1500 word limit, and I wrote it mostly the night it was due in (midnight deadline). That essay got 63, if I remember correctly.The other formative essays I did got steadily shorter - I think I handed in a 600 word one, which is less than half the word limit. It got 60. Somehow. Really not sure. Seriously, you'll do better than you think, they will not mark you harshly your first year at all & you will be fine. Trust me.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitt1)
    Hi there,

Try not to worry too much. As @BB8 said, I'd recommend going to speak to your tutor to talk through your essay to give you peace of mind that you're on the right track. You could also talk to any academic support service your uni offers, as they can give you general advice on structuring your essay.

The first essay is always a bit nerve wracking but you'll get the hang of it.

Hope that helps.

Heather

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mitt1)
    I'm worried about this too. My first essays are due in January and I have to write 2 x 1000 word ones. We have just been given the questions and I think I know which ones I'll choose, but it's just so different to A-Levels. In psychology A-Level, we were given a proper structure and advice to follow, whereas now at uni we are given the question and nothing else. I think what I'll do is follow the same structure (intro, a few paragraphs, conclusion) but with more emphasis on my own independent reading. I'm also scared about accidental plagiarism. What if I write a sentence that just by chance happens to be similar to the sentence in a book I've never read?

What subject are you doing? Some subjects don't have a wrong answer, so whatever you write will be right as long as it's justified and referenced well and written in good English, so hopefully we will both be fine. Better start working on them now!

ReputationRep:
    I would try not to worry too much. You can only do what you can and then learn from any mistakes.

My first essay at uni went well I thought. I got the mark and it was appalling- the lowest mark I ever received throughout my whole 4 years by far! I was distraught and thought that I'd made a terrible mistake by choosing Philosophy. It was 25% of my module grade and I was convinced that I'd end up failing the whole thing.

However, I took the feedback on board, had a meeting with the tutor to discuss improvements and then really channelled those pointers into my next essay. I ended up smashing the next essay with a very high first and in the end my module grade was a good balanced average.

If it goes well, brilliant! Look at what you did well and build on that in future work.
    If it doesn't go as well as you'd like then look closely at your feedback and use it as a great learning point.

Best of luck!

(Original post by 999tigger)
      Well the alternative is not to write anything and thats a guaranteed 100% of nothing.
      this is a bit of a deviation from the op's question but i am genuinely wondering why people say the first year iof university does not count?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blackstarr)
      this is a bit of a deviation from the op's question but i am genuinely wondering why people say the first year iof university does not count?
      Some universities don't take your first year into account when working out your degree qualification. My university didn't, they worked out our qualification one of two ways - either second year plus third year plus third year, then divided by three. Or second year plus third year, divided by two. Whichever was the highest mark was the one you were awarded, so they never took first year into consideration. So technically it doesn't count (depending on the uni I assume), but in a way it does cause you're setting up your work ethic and style of essay writing and all that sort of stuff.
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      This whole essay is worth 0.3% of your degree. So if you fail rather than getting a solid 2.1 (which is a huge difference) you'll lose 0.1% on your overall mark - that's not really something to be too concerned about.

Try and go into this first essay with no expectations. You have to learn how to perform on uni essays and sometimes that means getting some bad feedback so you know what they're looking for and how to meet the expectations the lecturers have for you. Your first 2-4 essays should be about learning how to get good marks - not immediately scoring 75% and not really knowing why. Everyone has a bad mark or two over the course of their degree, it doesn't affect the overall percentage much.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Blackstarr)
      because at most universities the first year isn't taken into account for your final degree mark, they only average the 2nd and 3rd year marks

ReputationRep:
      I thought 1st year didn’t count
      Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
      My university doesn’t count first year grades.

You need to work on your essay structure, have a draft and make sure you use appropriate references (if necessary).

Book a meeting with your tutor and English team to check your work.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reece.W.J)
      It doesn't count towards your final grade, but at my uni you need to pass year 1 to get to year 2, so it kind of counts.

ReputationRep:
      Do your best and you'll pass first year is about learning what to do. Don't expect a first or even 2:1 straight away. You'll learn what's expected to achieve those next time.

(Original post by BB8)
      Go to your tutor and ask them to read it through - they may be able to give some advice. Obviously if it's really close to the deadline this will probably not be possible.

However it's very unlikely that your essay will be terrible. My first essay was formative and I barely tried - it was about 1000 of a 1500 word limit, and I wrote it mostly the night it was due in (midnight deadline). That essay got 63, if I remember correctly.The other formative essays I did got steadily shorter - I think I handed in a 600 word one, which is less than half the word limit. It got 60. Somehow. Really not sure. Seriously, you'll do better than you think, they will not mark you harshly your first year at all & you will be fine. Trust me.
      What uni did you go to that's so bad. If you did that at mine you'd surely fail.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by QuestionQuest)
      Do your best and you'll pass first year is about learning what to do. Don't expect a first or even 2:1 straight away. You'll learn what's expected to achieve those next time.

What uni did you go to that's so bad. If you did that at mine you'd surely fail.
      I'm at UCL but the dept I'm in don't do a minimum word count so they can't mark me down on that. And I'm a really concise writer so the quality didn't suffer too much. I wouldn't advise doing what I did for assessed essays though (although I did once submit a draft accidentally of an assessed one and they gave it 40..). As I said the essays I did that on were all formative & didn't count - they were for 100% exam based modules.

Edit: I should add there's no way I'll get away with it this year as they'll mark more harshly and the no-minimum-word-count is a 1st year only thing I think

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Reece.W.J)
      My "best module" (a draw between 2, in the end) counted as like 1%

ReputationRep:
      Same, I have a 3000 word essay for my sociology module and I'm worried about that too.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by BB8)
      I'm at UCL but the dept I'm in don't do a minimum word count so they can't mark me down on that. And I'm a really concise writer so the quality didn't suffer too much. I wouldn't advise doing what I did for assessed essays though (although I did once submit a draft accidentally of an assessed one and they gave it 40..). As I said the essays I did that on were all formative & didn't count - they were for 100% exam based modules.

Edit: I should add there's no way I'll get away with it this year as they'll mark more harshly and the no-minimum-word-count is a 1st year only thing I think

Oh right that makes sense. I can't be below 10% of the word count on mine. I've never had a non-assessed essay, only presentations.

ReputationRep:
      As long as your grammar in the essay is better than 'doing bad' you should be fine

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.