Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The Unwritten Laws of Engineering

Originally by W.J. King, with revisions and additions by James G. Skakoon.

ISBN: 0-7918-0162-4

Last year I said I would review some engineering books that I have been reading. I have since read a few more that I would like to review.

This book is, in many ways, similar to the previous book I reviewed: Professional Engineering Practice: Reflections on the Role of the Professional Engineer, in that it is primarily about the professional practice side of things, providing a comprehensive list of dos that will help your career, from the intern to manager level. It's actually an update of the 1944 version, although much of it remains intact from then. A lot of this is true tried and tested advice, and it is a generally highly recommend book. It's also broken into lots of little "chunks", i.e. laws/rules, which means you can pick it up and read it for almost any length of time. In fact I would say that it fits quite nicely as something to read a little bit of at a time; as it's broken into laws/rules, it doesn't demand hours of your uninterrupted time to make sense of.

Onto the content itself, as alluded to above, this book is a collection of "laws" - that they are labelled as "unwritten" is nothing sinister or secretive, it's that they aren't written down anywhere obvious that everyone is going to read. University degrees almost solely reward individual work, but engineering in industry is almost always more of about collaboration and teamwork. The early laws in this book should help you with making the transition from university to the workplace. Like, for example, the very first one, which paraphrased, states that even though your early tasks may appear trivial or menial, to give them your full efforts. In fact, many of the laws detailed in this book could apply to a host of other careers too, as a large amount of them aren't technical in nature.

To finish off this very short review, this is a highly recommended book, hence why I read it. And I concur, this book is definitely worth a read for someone interested in an engineering career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.