Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need eyetests + new glasses every six months abd cant afford it! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Over the past two years my eyesight has weirdmy deteriorated quickly. You're supposed to have your eyes tested every two years and I've needed a test, and new prescription every six months.

I normally try to use a voucher for specsavers but it still comes to £40 a time generally. I've been given no explanation as to why and I quite frankly am really struggling with the costs. A full time student and all my postgrad loan is gone on course fees so I don't have a maintenance loan. I'm trying to get a job but it's taking time.

Can I do anything about this?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Over the past two years my eyesight has weirdmy deteriorated quickly. You're supposed to have your eyes tested every two years and I've needed a test, and new prescription every six months.

I normally try to use a voucher for specsavers but it still comes to £40 a time generally. I've been given no explanation as to why and I quite frankly am really struggling with the costs. A full time student and all my postgrad loan is gone on course fees so I don't have a maintenance loan. I'm trying to get a job but it's taking time.

Fill in a HC1 form. You may get help with eye tests and vouchers towards glasses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Fill in a HC1 form. You may get help with eye tests and vouchers towards glasses.
    I don't I believe it takes the household income into account rather than just mine
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I don't I believe it takes the household income into account rather than just mine
    It only takes yours and that of your partner if you have one. So if you live with your parents or friends, their income is ignored.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Get free eye test vouchers whenever you can (check all the high street brands websites to see if they have any ) then buy glasses online, I got a pair from glasses direct for £25 and they are still going strong for me.

Try going somewhere else because specsavers over subscribe
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I think if you get any prescriptions at Boots, they sometimes give out £10 eye test vouchers. (check the paper bag)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Get free eye test vouchers whenever you can (check all the high street brands websites to see if they have any ) then buy glasses online, I got a pair from glasses direct for £25 and they are still going strong for me.
    Zenni Optical is a good site for that. Most of my single vision glasses are from there. Even my recent pair of prescription sunglasses is from there.

Over the past two years my eyesight has weirdmy deteriorated quickly. You're supposed to have your eyes tested every two years and I've needed a test, and new prescription every six months. I normally try to use a voucher for specsavers but it still comes to £40 a time generally. I've been given no explanation as to why and I quite frankly am really struggling with the costs. A full time student and all my postgrad loan is gone on course fees so I don't have a maintenance loan. I'm trying to get a job but it's taking time. Can I do anything about this?
    How much do your eyes change? Have you investigated the reason? Has your doctor or optometrists suggested different prescription for up-close and distance?

ReputationRep:
    no its your personal income and your partners if you have one and live with them. if you live with your parents they dont look at that
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.