Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Difference in jobs, responsibilities etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali0_o)
    Difference in jobs, responsibilities etc?
    If you want the technical description, see the below link for the KSF descriptions for Bands 2 - 8b, though it is an old version.

http://www.nhsemployers.org/~/media/...siotherapy.pdf

Further more up to date reading here:

http://www.nhsemployers.org/your-wor...l-job-profiles

If you want a high level summary, there is no difference in the job per se. You are a physio and your give physio to patients. There is a difference in expectations however between the roles.

Speaking from experience:

As a band 5 I ran a ward but took direction off senior physios. I knew what I knew, but required input with more complex patients - particularly those on ventilatory support or requiring invasive suctioning, advanced medical management etc. You are very much learning - the degree gives you the basics, but it isn't until you are on call at 2am on your own with a rapidly deteriorating patient for instance that you actually learn!

As a band 6 I still ran a ward, but was also responsible for overseeing a band 5 under my supervision on another ward. The expectation is that you are far more independent - i.e. you aren't bleeping others for help in doing this that and the other. You are confident to give advanced treatment to patients, and to guide patient care in liaison with other specialities - i.e. giving expert opinion to doctors on management of complex patients. There is a bit of managerial stuff, but not on a department wide level. You are developing into an autonomous practitioner.

As a band 7, I am responsible for a team. My last team for instance had 14 physios in it, so rather than looking purely at a ward, I was jointly responsible for physiotherapy provision over 9 wards and intensive care. I also held a rapid response bleep for A&E to see highly complex patients arriving off ambulances for instance, and was involved in complex planning for very sick patients. Managerially, far more responsibility for setting trust direction - assessing competencies for juniors, disciplinary procedures, ensuring national guidelines are met and high level care is given to all. Very much the buck stops here sort of environment. Yes, there is an 8a above me, but something goes wrong clinically it is on me.

In essence, the higher you get, the more you are expected to set direction for others and act as a reference point. The learning never stops - starting a masters next week, and despite years of experience, it is clear from the pre-reading I know nothing :-)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.