Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying maths, business studies, physics and computer science, and will be taking and EPQ next year.
    However my GCSE's are terribly average due to circumstances entirely outside of my control
    Considering these subjects, if I were to get A*A*AAa. How are my chances were I to apply to the LSE for economics? Is there still a chance for me despite my circumstances?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Backwardscloud)
    I am currently studying maths, business studies, physics and computer science, and will be taking and EPQ next year.
    However my GCSE's are terribly average due to circumstances entirely outside of my control
    Considering these subjects, if I were to get A*A*AAa. How are my chances were I to apply to the LSE for economics? Is there still a chance for me despite my circumstances?
    Drop Business for Economics.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If your extenuating circumstances are accepted, then you have a chance. However, business studies and computer science are both considered "non preferred", and the lack of further maths (AS or otherwise) may weaken your application somewhat. They may give you a higher offer if they do make one, given that quantity < quality and in their consideration "more academic" = "quality" for that purpose to ensure you're at the academic level of their course.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at LSE, and I haven't met a single person studying economics who didn't do further maths at A level; it's basically an unwritten rule that you need it.

The work for economics is simply too hard for most people to cope if they haven't done further maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    If your extenuating circumstances are accepted, then you have a chance. However, business studies and computer science are both considered "non preferred", and the lack of further maths (AS or otherwise) may weaken your application somewhat. They may give you a higher offer if they do make one, given that quantity < quality and in their consideration "more academic" = "quality" for that purpose to ensure you're at the academic level of their course.
    I think computer is not "non preferred subjects" or is it? There is no such thing written. So, please provide reliable information all the time.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AamirSonu)
    I think computer is not "non preferred subjects" or is it? There is no such thing written. So, please provide reliable information all the time.
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/study-at-lse/Un...y-Requirements

My mistake, they consider "Computing" acceptable and "ICT" non-preferred.

If you do your own research and you can provide reliable information yourself instead of just making asinine comments on month old threads.

ReputationRep:
    Alright calm down. My bad.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.