Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can universities raise offer or express preference over grades? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I've got Distinction* A*A*A as predicted grades in BTEC Applied Law, English Literature, Sociology and History (in that order) and I wanted to know whether universities may raise their offers to A*A*A.

I'm intending to apply to study Law and I am considering applying to LSE, UCL King and Kent (I have not decided on a 5th option), however, my question is whether the universities may raise their offer from A*AA to A*A*A and, if not, whether they will, when making their offer, decide whether they want my English Literature or my Sociology grade to be the A*.

My concern comes from the fact that I don't believe that I will be able to get the A* in Literature (since I got a high B grade in the mock, however, since it is not AS/A2, my teacher predicted me this), and, thus, I fear that if the university will ask me to get that grade than I will be unable to actually firm that offer.

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the advertised is just the "standard" offer.

However in practice I don't think any except Oxbridge, and only in borderline cases, do so.

Spoiler:
    Show

(at least for requiring that A*s be in named subjects - and this is normally in the sciences. Others may set a higher overall offer with no specific requirements)

• Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyter)
    Hey,

I've got Distinction* A*A*A as predicted grades in BTEC Applied Law, English Literature, Sociology and History (in that order) and I wanted to know whether universities may raise their offers to A*A*A.

I'm intending to apply to study Law and I am considering applying to LSE, UCL King and Kent (I have not decided on a 5th option), however, my question is whether the universities may raise their offer from A*AA to A*A*A and, if not, whether they will, when making their offer, decide whether they want my English Literature or my Sociology grade to be the A*.

My concern comes from the fact that I don't believe that I will be able to get the A* in Literature (since I got a high B grade in the mock, however, since it is not AS/A2, my teacher predicted me this), and, thus, I fear that if the university will ask me to get that grade than I will be unable to actually firm that offer.

Generally they won't increase their requirements from what is advertised or specify a subject unless that subject is required so I wouldn't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    They very rarely raise their offers, but they can if they want. Sometimes they do give out ridiculous offers e.g. I knew a guy who was predicted 6A* and Cambridge gave him an offer of 5A*, 1A. Pretty much only Cambridge, Imperial, and Warwick (only for maths) do give these 'aspirational offers' and generally for STEM subjects. So you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Generally they won't increase their requirements from what is advertised or specify a subject unless that subject is required so I wouldn't worry about it
    Thank you very much! I was very worried about the universities having a preference with English (considering that Sociology is not a traditional subject) and I had intended to ask my teacher to lower my prediction to an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spyter)
    Hey,

With those predictions are you not considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yt7777)
    With those predictions are you not considering applying to Oxford or Cambridge?
    To be completely honest, I have considered applying to Cambridge, however I ended up not to for a number of reasons.

First of all, my college had a very strange way of handling UCAS applications, since they requested obxrige applicants to submit their completed apliction by the 15th of September in order to perform some sort of checks. However, they had only given us our predicted grades this week. This, of course, meant that the Oxbrige applicants had had to apply on the basis of their mock grades and pure faith in their teachers (however, as I have mentioned, I got a B in my English mock exam and considering how strict my teacher was rumoured to be with predicted grades I did not expect to even get an A predicted). As a result of that, I had missed the deadline and now it is too late to apply (the UCAS deadline may be the 15th of this month, but my college wouldn't take them in).

Even still, I found myself not liking the style of teaching at Cambridge and Oxford. Whilst I do consider Cambridge a dream, the reality of how the teaching takes place, the supervisions, the traditions and many more elements, do no match the way I would like to spend 3 year of my life and over £27.000. To add to that, my ambition is to take a masters post my undergraduate, and, considering that Oxbrige asks for a First from any UK university as their entry requirement, I believe I would have a better chance of obtaining this grade at another Russel Group university that wouldn't place that amount of pressure on me (even if the difference of pressure is small, I believe it would help me to avoid a mental breakdown).

I hope I helped you in any way with my answer. 😄

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.