Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!
    I'm sure that this is in the wrong place and a couple of similar threads exist already but hey ho.
    I'm in Year 12 and currently study Maths, Further Maths, History & Economics at A Level (having achieved all A*s at GCSE), and I've started looking into degrees, especially joint History & Econ ones as I really enjoy (and have had a long term interest in) both subjects.
    I've found the Oxford course and it seems rather interesting but I find it quite odd that so few people apply to the course every year, and as a consequence of this it is rather difficult to find advice from current students of the course e.g for reading lists ideas, interview preparation etc.
    Are there any current students on here who could give me any info on what the course is like & any tips? I have to admit that I am a bit put off by the fact that just over a dozen people were accepted onto the course last year. I've considered PPE, but I'm not convinced that I would be competent enough nor have enough interest in the Philosophy aspect of the course.
    Thanks in advance
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihatecrumpets)
    Hello everyone!
    I'm sure that this is in the wrong place and a couple of similar threads exist already but hey ho.

I'm in Year 12 and currently study Maths, Further Maths, History & Economics at A Level (having achieved all A*s at GCSE), and I've started looking into degrees, especially joint History & Econ ones as I really enjoy (and have had a long term interest in) both subjects.

I've found the Oxford course and it seems rather interesting but I find it quite odd that so few people apply to the course every year, and as a consequence of this it is rather difficult to find advice from current students of the course e.g for reading lists ideas, interview preparation etc.

Are there any current students on here who could give me any info on what the course is like & any tips? I have to admit that I am a bit put off by the fact that just over a dozen people were accepted onto the course last year. I've considered PPE, but I'm not convinced that I would be competent enough nor have enough interest in the Philosophy aspect of the course.

Thanks in advance
    Hiya:hi:

This forum is fine but I can get your thread moved over into the Oxford forum if you want (you'll probably get more/better responses there)

One thing I will say is do not be put off by the low entry numbers because you need to put it into the context of how many people apply.

You can find a lot of advice for History and for Economics courses respectively around the Oxford forum, I understand your pain about general lack of joint honours information on TSR and I've made sure it's in the pipeline for something to be done about that:yep:

Hope this helps somewhat,

MR

EDIT: Just found this and thought of you (DO NOT COPY ANY OF IT FOR YOUR OWN USE - you will be done for plagiarism)
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...th-economics-1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Hiya:hi:

This forum is fine but I can get your thread moved over into the Oxford forum if you want (you'll probably get more/better responses there)

One thing I will say is do not be put off by the low entry numbers because you need to put it into the context of how many people apply.

You can find a lot of advice for History and for Economics courses respectively around the Oxford forum, I understand your pain about general lack of joint honours information on TSR and I've made sure it's in the pipeline for something to be done about that:yep:

Hope this helps somewhat,

MR

EDIT: Just found this and thought of you (DO NOT COPY ANY OF IT FOR YOUR OWN USE - you will be done for plagiarism)
    https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...th-economics-1
    Hi!
    Yes it would be very helpful if it was moved to the Oxford forum I imagine. I know few people tend to apply for joint honours at Oxbudge generally, and yeah I do tend to look at info for single subject applications.
    The PS doesn't have much relevance to my own experiences so it would be a bit silly of me to copy it, but thanks so much that is rather useful

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.