Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I just started year 10, and we are doing weather hazards (hurricanes, tropical storms etc.) I have always enjoyed geography and it has been my favourite subject through year 7, 8, 9. This year I have such a crappy teacher, and we just had a test which contained 4 markers, 9 markers etc. and I only got 17/27. I don't feel like I'm learning anything and I am genuinely concerned that I will fall behind. what methods can you use to revise? and what should I do?? i don't know if you can get tutors for geography

ReputationRep:
    No need for that, I do a level geography and when I did GCSE geography all you had to do is question after question and you'll get good with the structure. Get a revision guide to help you as well, those really helped me back then and got me a A grade.

ReputationRep:
    omggggg geography was the bane of my existence. Was flopping throughout year 10 and 11 but then banged out for my GCSEs during easter and got an A* dunno how that happened or how I got full UMS in all my exams lmfao. But mateee, don't stress you're in year 10. Geography is similar to science, it makes more sense as you complete the course and learn more. What exam board do you do? If you do WJEC I'd recommend AceGeography, that's what I used alongside watching youtube videos on said topic. literally don't stress if you're in year 10, you will improve!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deliciate)
    omggggg geography was the bane of my existence. Was flopping throughout year 10 and 11 but then banged out for my GCSEs during easter and got an A* dunno how that happened or how I got full UMS in all my exams lmfao. But mateee, don't stress you're in year 10. Geography is similar to science, it makes more sense as you complete the course and learn more. What exam board do you do? If you do WJEC I'd recommend AceGeography, that's what I used alongside watching youtube videos on said topic. literally don't stress if you're in year 10, you will improve!

thanks!!!! I'm aqa!! i think its the question style that catches me out lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieeliza)
    thanks!!!! I'm aqa!! i think its the question style that catches me out lol
    Im with you on that. If you understand the content then that's even better aha, trust me when you do more practice papers throughout the year you'll come to grips with the question style; you'll be like 'nahhhhh examiner, I see you trying to catch me out on this, bish no'.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!! I'm also in year 10 taking GCSE geography. Honestly I understand what your going through. Last year I had SUCH a great teacher and now the one I have this year is, umm, not as good (*nervous laugh*)
    Firstly invest in a good revision guide AND practice book (you can buy them from WHSmiths, just make sure its the one from/for your exam board, AQA, Edexcel etc.) this way after each lesson you can review what you've been taught, read the work book and then answer exam style questions in the practice book.
    Just do this and I would personally make flashcards, but it depends what works best for you.
    Also being stuck with a bad teacher sucks, but the best thing you can do is just accept it. Ask loads of questions in class;talk to them after class about stuff you want more info on and be open to their way of teaching. At the end of the day, sadly, your stuck with them, but you cant let your grades slip cause of it. Just try your best to teach yourself the content and if you have any friends also taking geog (but with a different teacher) borrow their notes and study with them.

Good luck, hope this helps
    (btw I can relate so much tho)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabriellaxx.x)
    Hey!! I'm also in year 10 taking GCSE geography. Honestly I understand what your going through. Last year I had SUCH a great teacher and now the one I have this year is, umm, not as good (*nervous laugh*)
    Firstly invest in a good revision guide AND practice book (you can buy them from WHSmiths, just make sure its the one from/for your exam board, AQA, Edexcel etc.) this way after each lesson you can review what you've been taught, read the work book and then answer exam style questions in the practice book.
    Just do this and I would personally make flashcards, but it depends what works best for you.
    Also being stuck with a bad teacher sucks, but the best thing you can do is just accept it. Ask loads of questions in class;talk to them after class about stuff you want more info on and be open to their way of teaching. At the end of the day, sadly, your stuck with them, but you cant let your grades slip cause of it. Just try your best to teach yourself the content and if you have any friends also taking geog (but with a different teacher) borrow their notes and study with them.

Good luck, hope this helps
    (btw I can relate so much tho)

thanks so much lol, I just really don't look forward to geography anymore :/

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don't worry about one test (for starters, I don't think you did that badly but ik thats a matter of opinion). I'd say just go crazy with past questions, make sure by the time your gcse's come about that you have done every past paper ever known to exist, and also I found making flashcards very useful because there are so many key terms, processes and case studies. Im currently doing geography A2 and this is what seems to work for me! Good luck!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.