Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm an extremely insecure millionaire Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous1502)
    Can you at least tell me,if your course either law or something science/medicine and is your uni RG?
    I don't see why you care so much since my money is not related AT ALL to the subject or uni or even due to the fact I went to uni (same thing would have happened if I got a job), but it was/is a science subject at RG unis. That really is all I'm saying this time.

ReputationRep:
    Can you make a small donation to my go fund me page to help me though med school?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by throwawwwayyy)
    I don't see why you care so much since my money is not related AT ALL to the subject or uni or even due to the fact I went to uni (same thing would have happened if I got a job), but it was/is a science subject at RG unis. That really is all I'm saying this time.
    Im interested in how academic attainment links to wealth in the future.

I grew up in a very poor/abusive house where there was never much money, but due to half lucky circumstances (see below) I am as of today a millionaire at roughly 25 (don't want to be found irl).

I don't feel anything and get increasingly insecure about money. I lie about being a MULTI millionaire to my close friends and I've got stingier as time goes on.

I think this stems from insecurity that I can't afford 30k a year private schools/nice houses for my children when I have them, which in turn probably stems from how **** my childhood was (although I did exceptionally well academically and turned out ok so many people I know were single mothers at 18, dropped out at 16, drug addicts etc).

The only thing I've spent a lot of money on is 10k a night prostitutes a few times, and that was just as an ego boost since my wealth obviously impresses most people.

I don't even know what I'm asking for, I guess just how to get rid of my insecurity about wealth/how to feel satisfied since I'm worried I'll just keep wanting more.

(Only close friends/government for tax purposes are aware of my wealth and I am not in contact with my family. Most people are completely unaware and I own nothing out of the ordinary (no lambos, rolex, mansion etc). I am near the of a phd and have lurked on tsr for years)

(Reason for wealth was working very, very hard combined with student loan while studying. Had about 50k saved at the time, got fed up of it and put 30k into bitcoin in one go at start of 2015 (note this was AFTER it shot up the first time in 2013). Put a bit more in as well over the course of the year.)
    It's difficult to answer because I can't even begin to understand how that feels, which I assume is true for most people here, because we haven't been in a similar situation. Reading the Bitcoin bit though, the reason your insecurity remains might largely be due to the fact that you gained wealth through somewhat lucky circumstances and due to fear you may lose it as easily and go back to the situation you were in when you were younger. Of course, I'm no therapist or anything that is close to it, so I may be talking total nonsense, so take what I say cautiously. Your other worry seems to stem from wanting to provide a better childhood for your children, a goal of many humans, but perhaps there lies part of the fix, maybe you'll get the satisfaction you crave by investing it in your children, or wife (note this is a random thought of a youngster, so don't take it with any weight and plan with it). And maybe learn to be satisfied with the money you have and keep it in banks if you want security. I don't know what else to say though, sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londons SweetBoy)
    Yo wait, hol' up ho' up!

What is a supposedly "millionaire" doing on a student forum room made for students asking life advice from students:mute:?
    I'm a (phd) student myself and use this website a lot and have for a long time. Being anonymous makes me much more comfortable talking about issues here, and the community is pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    Im interested in how academic attainment links to wealth in the future.
    Ok, that's understandable sorry if I appeared rude. I did get typical straight A* tsr tier grades when I was younger but even if I dropped out of school I'd be just as well off now (actually I'd probably be much better off since I'd have more money when I bought the bitcoins in 2013 with a proper job than a student loan/part time job). In my case it really is completely unrelated.

In general academic attainment is very related to wealth (multiple statistics on this), but pay attention to people around you as you grow up and it becomes clear the biggest thing for wealth is how rich/supportive their parents are. Not really because of parents giving them money, but because of parents giving them better guidance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a (phd) student myself and use this website a lot and have for a long time. Being anonymous makes me much more comfortable talking about issues here, and the community is pretty good.
    Oh okay!

I don't see what you have to be insecure about, you're a millionaire!

You made out of the rat race

I am being hypocritical as I live in a posh part of London, and used to hide from friends as well, and claim I lived in some ghetto part of London. Just so they won't hate on me:dry:

But now I just tell it how it is, because I won't live my life being dictated and a prisoner to other peoples expectations of me. If they hate let them hate, at the end of the day if someone hates it means you have something they want, so why not flaunt it, instead of hiding it?

It's just a waste of potential haters!

Anyway so if I invest my money in this Bitcoin thing I'll be a millionaire too?:scrooge:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, that's understandable sorry if I appeared rude. I did get typical straight A* tsr tier grades when I was younger but even if I dropped out of school I'd be just as well off now (actually I'd probably be much better off since I'd have more money when I bought the bitcoins in 2013 with a proper job than a student loan/part time job). In my case it really is completely unrelated.

In general academic attainment is very related to wealth (multiple statistics on this), but pay attention to people around you as you grow up and it becomes clear the biggest thing for wealth is how rich/supportive their parents are. Not really because of parents giving them money, but because of parents giving them better guidance.
    In this current time what is a good way to get rich do you think?

ReputationRep:
    If you have to lie about money to your friends, something's wrong. You need friends who understand what being a millionaire means. These days, a million may not even be enough to be secure for a lifetime without work or investments. If your friends think you can just drive around in a Ferrari and drink champagne all day, consider getting new friends.

Also, find a passion to take your mind off it. It could be something like a sport, a musical instrument, a project or volunteering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's difficult to answer because I can't even begin to understand how that feels, which I assume is true for most people here, because we haven't been in a similar situation. Reading the Bitcoin bit though, the reason your insecurity remains might largely be due to the fact that you gained wealth through somewhat lucky circumstances and due to fear you may lose it as easily and go back to the situation you were in when you were younger. Of course, I'm no therapist or anything that is close to it, so I may be talking total nonsense, so take what I say cautiously. Your other worry seems to stem from wanting to provide a better childhood for your children, a goal of many humans, but perhaps there lies part of the fix, maybe you'll get the satisfaction you crave by investing it in your children, or wife (note this is a random thought of a youngster, so don't take it with any weight and plan with it). And maybe learn to be satisfied with the money you have and keep it in banks if you want security. I don't know what else to say though, sorry
    It;'s just nice having people to talk to. The money is mainly for my childrens security/safety, I already have a (modest) house with no mortgage and 100k in my bank account for safety reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Londons SweetBoy)
    Oh okay!

I don't see what you have to be insecure about, you're a millionaire!

You made out of the rat race

I am being hypocritical as I live in a posh part of London, and used to hide from friends as well, and claim I lived in some ghetto part of London. Just so they won't hate on me:dry:

But now I just tell it how it is, because I won't live my life being dictated and a prisoner to other peoples expectations of me. If they hate let them hate, at the end of the day if someone hates it means you have something they want, so why not flaunt it, instead of hiding it?

It's just a waste of potential haters!

Anyway so if I invest my money in this Bitcoin thing I'll be a millionaire too?:scrooge:
    It's not just wealth, I've got other issues. Look into bitcoins and yes I believe they still have tonnes of potential.(note you will NOT be a millionaire unless you have 50k and 10 years to wait)

ReputationRep:
    In this current time what is a good way to get rich do you think?
    You shouldn't be asking me since I got rich through luck. I'd reccomend working very hard and buying bitcoins though. Please do not expect the same thing to happen to you, it likely won't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    If you have to lie about money to your friends, something's wrong. You need friends who understand what being a millionaire means. These days, a million may not even be enough to be secure for a lifetime without work or investments. If your friends think you can just drive around in a Ferrari and drink champagne all day, consider getting new friends.

Also, find a passion to take your mind off it. It could be something like a sport, a musical instrument, a project or volunteering.
    My friends don't care about my money, it's my own insecurity. I do try and do things to take my mind of stuff which helps.

ReputationRep:
    It seems like you're not interested in spending lots of money or it makes you feel uncomfortable having that much money, so maybe you could invest it or put it into a savings/ISA account and just leave it there until you're ready to use it. Barclays/Santander have online savings accounts where you don't get a physical bank card, so that might be a good way to just leave it aside without it bothering you. Keep up with the counselling until you're ready to use it.

Also, you could try to gradually increase your wealth instead of keeping it all in your main account e.g calculate your monthly costs, and start with £500 disposable income on top of that. Every few months increase the amount of disposable income you give yourself, and keep the rest in a separate account that you don't use, so you can gradually get used to the idea of having more money.

I hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petulia)
    It seems like you're not interested in spending lots of money or it makes you feel uncomfortable having that much money, so maybe you could invest it or put it into a savings/ISA account and just leave it there until you're ready to use it. Barclays/Santander have online savings accounts where you don't get a physical bank card, so that might be a good way to just leave it aside without it bothering you. Keep up with the counselling until you're ready to use it.

Also, you could try to gradually increase your wealth instead of keeping it all in your main account e.g calculate your monthly costs, and start with £500 disposable income on top of that. Every few months increase the amount of disposable income you give yourself, and keep the rest in a separate account that you don't use, so you can gradually get used to the idea of having more money.

I hope that helps
    I have a lot in secure/normal investments (not bitcoin) which makes me feel comfortable. I already keep track of my yearly costs and it's under 5k (I live in shared house, although I own a seperate one as well). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey there I think money is causing these problems,maybe you should take a break from being rich,it may benifit you,food for though eh
    So if the rich is no longer for you feel free to donate your income to a worthy recipient AKA - ME
    My paypal is- [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    I'm very slightly drunk and going to go now would just like to say it was nice to have some proper answers on tsr

ReputationRep:
    What do you do for work?

ReputationRep:
    phd student. I do bicycle delivery as a part time job (not for money but exercise).

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you afford private school for your children if you're a millionaire?

Have fun, enjoy life, spend money and find a purpose (a business, a hobby, a sport, a project, self-development, something educational or any higher purpose)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.