Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently back at night school doing higher English, it's came to Folio time and I have no idea what I could write about, other than coming to terms with my sexuality.

I haven't really asked the teacher whether this would be a suitable topic incase it is awkward.

Had anyone else written about this topic of something similar, that really hits a nerve.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicnak27)
    I am currently back at night school doing higher English, it's came to Folio time and I have no idea what I could write about, other than coming to terms with my sexuality.

I haven't really asked the teacher whether this would be a suitable topic incase it is awkward.

Had anyone else written about this topic of something similar, that really hits a nerve.

Thanks in advance
    I've never had to do it ( I am getting on a bit now ). But it seems like a good subject as, from what I understand, this is your chance to showcase different styles of writing.

I would broaden your topic a bit to perhaps your local area? Gay Scotland, Gay Glasgow? (Wherever you are from?)

You could do a historical research piece on how your chosen area has changed for LGBT
    You could do an interview with somebody from the LGBT centre or Pride organisers about the changing faces of 'Queerdom'.
    You could do a reflective piece on what it means to you and any difficulties you overcame.
    You could review an event (one coming up or one that was in the past) of something on the queer spectrum.

You'll know what is expected more than I do but subject-wise I think you could be onto a winner.

ReputationRep:
    The folio is based on a personal reflective piece so I think going over difficulties I have faced would be the route I would go down.

Thanks!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I am doing my personal folio on my recent journey with realising I am gay and the difficulties that I face. My teacher really liked my Draft 1, so I think it is a good topic. No need to worry about doing it!
    If you need anything - ask me.

ReputationRep:
    You can definitely do it, but tbh most non-hetero kids end up writing about it for their reflective essays and to me it seems contrived. I wrote about reading for my PR and how I relate to literature in 5th year and in 6th year I wrote essentially a long '**** you' to my exboyfriend, which while not the standard sob stories that PR essays tend to devolve into did both get a 14/15 in the end. Basically, if you're gonna do it then do it really well and avoid 'woe is me'-ing, alternatively you could write about the idea of LGBT more widely - or even just reflecting on sexuality more broadly in an almost non-fiction essay sort of way.

ReputationRep:
    If I'm gonna do it, I'm actually not gonna talk about me coming to terms with it at all but more how everyone else around me made me feel about the situation. So one parent supported me 100% but the other was totally against it. Although I'm definitely considering looking at more widely now. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joe2001)
    I am doing my personal folio on my recent journey with realising I am gay and the difficulties that I face. My teacher really liked my Draft 1, so I think it is a good topic. No need to worry about doing it!
    If you need anything - ask me.
    Awww that's good to hear! So are you looking at from a point of view as in your writing about how the future is nerve racking etc?

I may take you up on that ☺️

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.