Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

3rd week law degree, thinking of dropping out Watch

ReputationRep:
    I somehow achieved A*A*A and got into an LNAT law school in London. I've also been awarded a huge law scholarship after writing an essay and doing a skype interview. However, I come from a really economically deprived area. I'm from a state school and of an ethnic minority. Everyone here is so knowledgeable on things like politics, economics, business, etc which of course really supplement law studies. I however have no clue about these things and law already seems so out of my reach. The textbooks take ages to read and understand and in my tutorials everyone else seems to know how to approach problems. My university is making matters worse by constantly shoving careers and networking events at us. They all seem so middle class and glamorous and I honestly feel like I can't relate to a career in law anymore. Also, I've moved away from home and I'm a really homely person, extremely close with my family (even if I live 3 hours away and go home on the weekends, the effort to do that every weekend is taking its toll on me and my study time). I just feel so depressed. I'm a girl and my flatmates are all older guys and we just don't talk. I just feel so overwhelmed and bad about everything. Honestly feel like I don't belong here. The only thing sometimes that helps is when I'm actually studying back in my flat because it kind of takes my mind off all the negative thoughts but when I initially come back to my flat after uni, all the negative thoughts get too much and I just spend hours crying or feeling sorry for myself rather than just starting my work and taking my mind off it all. It just takes so much effort to actually start, not because I'm lazy or procrastinating but because I genuinely am so upset and feel like ****. I don't know what to do anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OkashiAddict)
    I somehow achieved A*A*A and got into an LNAT law school in London. I've also been awarded a huge law scholarship after writing an essay and doing a skype interview. However, I come from a really economically deprived area. I'm from a state school and of an ethnic minority. Everyone here is so knowledgeable on things like politics, economics, business, etc which of course really supplement law studies. I however have no clue about these things and law already seems so out of my reach. The textbooks take ages to read and understand and in my tutorials everyone else seems to know how to approach problems. My university is making matters worse by constantly shoving careers and networking events at us. They all seem so middle class and glamorous and I honestly feel like I can't relate to a career in law anymore. Also, I've moved away from home and I'm a really homely person, extremely close with my family (even if I live 3 hours away and go home on the weekends, the effort to do that every weekend is taking its toll on me and my study time). I just feel so depressed. I'm a girl and my flatmates are all older guys and we just don't talk. I just feel so overwhelmed and bad about everything. Honestly feel like I don't belong here. The only thing sometimes that helps is when I'm actually studying back in my flat because it kind of takes my mind off all the negative thoughts but when I initially come back to my flat after uni, all the negative thoughts get too much and I just spend hours crying or feeling sorry for myself rather than just starting my work and taking my mind off it all. It just takes so much effort to actually start, not because I'm lazy or procrastinating but because I genuinely am so upset and feel like ****. I don't know what to do anymore.
    you've got amazing grades, and should be proud of them. depending on what u did at a levels, ur options seem pretty open. did u have a look at the campus before joining? that would have allowed you to see if the place was worthwhile, even if the scholarship would make it look more attractive. i would suggest looking at other unis if u really feel like this place isnt for u. maybe getting more friendly with other people will make u feel less homesick and more integrated? anyways, good luck with whatever u choose to do!

ReputationRep:
    What subjects at a level?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    stick in for a a little longer
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    You can do it! Watch legally blonde if you are feeling down, haha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjoshelvey21)
    What subjects at a level?
    history and sociology A*
    religious studies A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zain170701)
    you've got amazing grades, and should be proud of them. depending on what u did at a levels, ur options seem pretty open. did u have a look at the campus before joining? that would have allowed you to see if the place was worthwhile, even if the scholarship would make it look more attractive. i would suggest looking at other unis if u really feel like this place isnt for u. maybe getting more friendly with other people will make u feel less homesick and more integrated? anyways, good luck with whatever u choose to do!
    i did look at the campus but i really didn't expect the actual study to be like this
    i have made friends but it really just doesn't make a difference because everyone has different timetables and everyone's busy getting on with it whilst i just feel so stuck and insecure

ReputationRep:
    Dickson Poon and Kings by any chance? I was offered the same scholarship this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeff6565)
    stick in for a a little longer
    i know that's what i'm going to have to do, i really don't want to disappoint my parents but i'm just going to be super down throughout it i guess

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Dickson Poon and Kings by any chance? I was offered the same scholarship this year.
    nope

ReputationRep:
    nope
    Really, I'm surprised because that's the biggest scholarship in the country. Anyway I was quite similar to you I got A*A*A*, I'm from a state school and an ethnic minority. I rejected the scholarship as I realised I found law boring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    Really, I'm surprised because that's the biggest scholarship in the country. Anyway I was quite similar to you I got A*A*A*, I'm from a state school and an ethnic minority. I rejected the scholarship as I realised I found law boring.
    no it wasn't but i don't want to say what uni either for obvious reasons. wow so did you get a scholarship elsewhere, like a better offer or something? what are you studying now?

ReputationRep:
    However, I come from a really economically deprived area. I'm from a state school and of an ethnic minority. Everyone here is so knowledgeable on things like politics, economics, business, etc which of course really supplement law studies. I however have no clue about these things and law already seems so out of my reach.
    Doesn't actually make that much difference to your performance on the course itself. It is useful to have a good grasp of current affairs once you start properly going after careers, but you're a while away from that yet. Just start paying attention to the news, browse a couple of papers, stick Newsnight on in the evenings once in a while. A lot of universities do free subscriptions to the FT -- this is a useful resource and provides good coverage of current affairs even if you don't particularly want to dive into coverage of companies and markets right now. You'll build up a good knowledge over time.

The textbooks take ages to read and understand and in my tutorials everyone else seems to know how to approach problems.
    Textbooks do take a good while to process properly, and I promise you that, three weeks in, 'everyone else' certainly does not know how to approach anything. They might think they do but they're probably wrong. First year is a learning curve. Don't worry about it.

My university is making matters worse by constantly shoving careers and networking events at us.
    Not a bad thing to be honest. They want you to find work and knowing what's what at as early a stage as possible is useful in that.

They all seem so middle class and glamorous and I honestly feel like I can't relate to a career in law anymore.
    Referring to the other students or the careers? You shouldn't be afraid of 'glamour' and money just because you don't come from that. You've earned your place there.

Also, I've moved away from home and I'm a really homely person, extremely close with my family (even if I live 3 hours away and go home on the weekends, the effort to do that every weekend is taking its toll on me and my study time). I just feel so depressed. I'm a girl and my flatmates are all older guys and we just don't talk. I just feel so overwhelmed and bad about everything. Honestly feel like I don't belong here. The only thing sometimes that helps is when I'm actually studying back in my flat because it kind of takes my mind off all the negative thoughts but when I initially come back to my flat after uni, all the negative thoughts get too much and I just spend hours crying or feeling sorry for myself rather than just starting my work and taking my mind off it all. It just takes so much effort to actually start, not because I'm lazy or procrastinating but because I genuinely am so upset and feel like ****. I don't know what to do anymore.
    So reach out to your flatmates. Talk. It's important that you have a social life otherwise of course you're going to feel bad. It would probably help you with this if you could move to going home maybe every other weekend, or once every three weeks or month. Not having the effort of that journey every week would also make you less tired and stressed, and your place at uni might actually start to feel like some kind of home if you're not leaving it every weekend.

I'm afraid otherwise you're just going to have to push through this. It would be very rash to drop out and equally very silly to let your studies slip because of some negative feelings you're having in the first couple of weeks. Don't worry -- a lot of people take a while to adapt, but most manage in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Doesn't actually make that much difference to your performance on the course itself. It is useful to have a good grasp of current affairs once you start properly going after careers, but you're a while away from that yet. Just start paying attention to the news, browse a couple of papers, stick Newsnight on in the evenings once in a while. A lot of universities do free subscriptions to the FT -- this is a useful resource and provides good coverage of current affairs even if you don't particularly want to dive into coverage of companies and markets right now. You'll build up a good knowledge over time.

Textbooks do take a good while to process properly, and I promise you that, three weeks in, 'everyone else' certainly does not know how to approach anything. They might think they do but they're probably wrong. First year is a learning curve. Don't worry about it.

Not a bad thing to be honest. They want you to find work and knowing what's what at as early a stage as possible is useful in that.

Referring to the other students or the careers? You shouldn't be afraid of 'glamour' and money just because you don't come from that. You've earned your place there.

So reach out to your flatmates. Talk. It's important that you have a social life otherwise of course you're going to feel bad. It would probably help you with this if you could move to going home maybe every other weekend, or once every three weeks or month. Not having the effort of that journey every week would also make you less tired and stressed, and your place at uni might actually start to feel like some kind of home if you're not leaving it every weekend.

I'm afraid otherwise you're just going to have to push through this. It would be very rash to drop out and equally very silly to let your studies slip because of some negative feelings you're having in the first couple of weeks. Don't worry -- a lot of people take a while to adapt, but most manage in the end.
    I mean reading this all seems logical and just... right. But it doesn't make a difference to how I feel in reality and honestly think there's deeper issues involved and I've booked an appointment with the university's counsellor so we'll see how that goes.

ReputationRep:
    I mean reading this all seems logical and just... right. But it doesn't make a difference to how I feel in reality and honestly think there's deeper issues involved and I've booked an appointment with the university's counsellor so we'll see how that goes.
    Yeah..getting some advice from your uni counsellor is a good idea. Hope everything goes well with your studies and u have a lovely and memorable stay at uni

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.