Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi

I am in yr13 studying maths, further maths and physics. Over the past few months I have suffered from anxiety disorder which is now leaving me crying in form (morning registration). Every day I wake up with an immense feeling of dread and a heavy sick feeling in my stomach, so often have to leave my breakfast until later in the day, once I am at school.
    School is where I am affected the most, and this week alone I have 'skipped' 3 lessons because I have been too shaky or anxious to even go in, and have stayed in the maths office to work with my form tutor. At school, I have an incredible support network from the maths department (I am there for 10 lessons a week) but would like to know if anyone else is experiencing anything like this and would be willing to share how they cope/manage it?
    I have been to the doctors and they are going to prescribe me some more tablets, but the last ones I had made me feel really ill for the first fortnight, and the new ones will be SSRIs so I am a little apprehensive as to how I will react.
    I am grateful for any advice anyone has, or if anyone has any questions or whatever because I want to learn how to manage this without just breaking down into tears whenever I have a panic attack (big or small)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    SSRIs generally have quite mild side effects for most people. Citalopram which is often prescribed for anxiety just made me feel nauseated and gave me a headache but both of these wore off within 10 days or so for me. You might get insomnia or vivid dreams I got these on other SSRIs or other stuff but I would try not to worry too much. It sounds like your anxiety is pretty bad so meds might really help you. You might want to look into buspar if the SSRI doesn't help, I currently take it and it made a huge difference to my anxiety.

Another thing might be to talk to your doc abut getting therapy to get to the root cause of your anxiety - no side effects to worry about!

I literally could've wrote this myself! Unfortunately I can't offer any advice as I am going through the exact same thing as you, however hopefully someone can offer some help.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling like this however, as at school everyone else seems to be fine and there's me just... struggling. I hope you find the help you need, please let me know if you find anything that helps.

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    SSRIs generally have quite mild side effects for most people. Citalopram which is often prescribed for anxiety just made me feel nauseated and gave me a headache but both of these wore off within 10 days or so for me. You might get insomnia or vivid dreams I got these on other SSRIs or other stuff but I would try not to worry too much. It sounds like your anxiety is pretty bad so meds might really help you. You might want to look into buspar if the SSRI doesn't help, I currently take it and it made a huge difference to my anxiety.

Another thing might be to talk to your doc abut getting therapy to get to the root cause of your anxiety - no side effects to worry about!
    Ah that’s a relief; I was on propranolol 20mg a day and felt so ill every single day so knowing the SSRIs give milder side effects is good. I have heard that about insomnia so hopefully that doesn’t happen as I am constantly exhausted but I guess we’ll see.
    I was originally referred to have counselling therapy stuff but it’s been a while and they haven’t got back to me and I have been so bad this week I basically rang up and told them I wanted the tablets bc I’d rather feel ill and have no anxiety than how I feel right now.
    Thanks again your words really helped and have put me at ease a bit😊

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I literally could've wrote this myself! Unfortunately I can't offer any advice as I am going through the exact same thing as you, however hopefully someone can offer some help.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in feeling like this however, as at school everyone else seems to be fine and there's me just... struggling. I hope you find the help you need, please let me know if you find anything that helps.
    I have been looking everywhere for something that relates to how I’m feeling and I’m glad I could relate to someone because not finding anything made me feel alone, so I’m glad that you know you’re not alone.
    I know exactly how you feel about the school thing because all my friends seem to be getting on fine and coping then I’m here struggling to get through an hour long lesson or half an hour in form, so you are definitely not alone there!
    I will let you know if anything helps. The medication I was on (propranolol 20mg a day) made me feel ill but I realise how much my anxiety went but the illness wasn’t worth it. If a doctor or anyone recommends it to you I would take it and try because medication does affect everyone differently and I do often react quite badly🙄

ReputationRep:
    i went through pretty much the same thing a few years ago, though i never took meds (mum refused) so i can't give any advice related to that. the way i overcame my anxiety was very unconventional? after suffering anxiety for such a long time, spending every day crying, feeling sick to my stomach, and watching my grades slip, i one day decided "screw it. i hate this, so i'm not going to let it take over my life anymore" and from that day on it hasn't lol. but obviously... 'just stop letting it affect you' isn't advice at all. i really have no idea how i even managed to do that. i still experience off-days (e.g. last year i started having an anxiety attack in the middle of a shopping centre and had to run to a toilet stall to calm down. not fun?) but it doesn't affect my daily life at all, unlike before.

i'd definitely suggest a counsellor or therapist. even if you find yourself in the situation where the advice they give you doesn't seem to help, it's still an incredibly nice feeling to at least have someone to vent to who you know wants to help you. also, maintain a good sleeping schedule! i found that sleep had a really big impact on how badly the anxiety would affect me. waking up in the mornings feeling well-rested made it easier to accept the fact that i had to go to school and deal with the day. looking after your health is very typical advice but it's that way for a reason. eating healthily, drinking lots of water, sleeping well, and exercising all really do have an impact on how you feel emotionally. it's not a cure, but it will help.

anyway, good luck! i hope you're able to find something that works for you! <3

(Original post by outroher)
    i went through pretty much the same thing a few years ago, though i never took meds (mum refused) so i can't give any advice related to that. the way i overcame my anxiety was very unconventional? after suffering anxiety for such a long time, spending every day crying, feeling sick to my stomach, and watching my grades slip, i one day decided "screw it. i hate this, so i'm not going to let it take over my life anymore" and from that day on it hasn't lol. but obviously... 'just stop letting it affect you' isn't advice at all. i really have no idea how i even managed to do that. i still experience off-days (e.g. last year i started having an anxiety attack in the middle of a shopping centre and had to run to a toilet stall to calm down. not fun?) but it doesn't affect my daily life at all, unlike before.

i'd definitely suggest a counsellor or therapist. even if you find yourself in the situation where the advice they give you doesn't seem to help, it's still an incredibly nice feeling to at least have someone to vent to who you know wants to help you. also, maintain a good sleeping schedule! i found that sleep had a really big impact on how badly the anxiety would affect me. waking up in the mornings feeling well-rested made it easier to accept the fact that i had to go to school and deal with the day. looking after your health is very typical advice but it's that way for a reason. eating healthily, drinking lots of water, sleeping well, and exercising all really do have an impact on how you feel emotionally. it's not a cure, but it will help.

anyway, good luck! i hope you're able to find something that works for you! <3
    I’ve just started some new meds’ now an SSRI that is used for anxiety more than an anti depressant. Some days I wake up and feel it and have a proper ‘not today’ moment and it’s generally not as bad but I’m yet to be able to say no and it actually stay away.
    Unfortunately due to these tablets it’s actually quite hard to have a good sleep schedule but I try and go to bed at the same time to keep that regular. I haven’t got a reply from the counsellor but my friend did recommend one so I think I’ll take your advice and try and find one soon - although to be honest a few teachers at school are acting as my counsellor at the minute when I’m really bad and I’d rather talk to them then a random stranger.

Thanks so much for all your help, hope your anxiety stays good for you <3
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by Sabertooth)

Citalopram is what I have now been prescribed - 10mg a day. Feeling a bit dizzy and nauseous on it, but nothing as bad as the propranolol was giving me!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.