Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm really disappointed in a level chemistry so far - it's not what i expected at all. I'm about 5 weeks into the course...

I thought it'd be focused on the application of theories learnt and focused on a more thorough understanding than GCSE. Atomic structure did this in a way, but the focus was massively on rewriting an answer exactly as we'd already been taught to, and exactly as it was written by the teacher. I know you have to do this to get the marks according to the mark schemes, but I'm finding it really boring. It's getting to the point where I can't remember what I thought I liked about the subject in the first place. The repetitive maths is killing me (pV=nRT and amount of substance generally).

Any A2s, does it get any better after amount of substance? In terms of being more interesting/applied to more varied contexts? I'm wishing I could drop it, but I still love biology and need to do the a level, and attempt to get a bloody A grade, in order to get onto my course...

Did anyone dislike the start of the course but go on to enjoy it?

ReputationRep:
    I really hated AS chemistry. Idk what board you're doing, but I did edexcel. Anyway, I found it horribly boring and didn't get along with it at all, something my grades reflected. I found it difficult and boring. During the second year though, not sure if it was the content or what, but it all seemed to click and I actually started to enjoy it. AS content is incredibly boring for the most part, and a fair bit of A2 is a repetition of some of the AS then building on it, but I actually quite enjoyed the second year content. It's very boring for the first year, and not at all like GCSE, but I do feel you start to apply the stuff you learnt from the first year more into the second year, and the second year topics tend to be a bit more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    The first few topics for AS chemistry (I'm talking about AQA btw) like amount of substance are definitely the most boring (albeit the easiest...). It's kind of just building a foundation since you'll apply what you learn in later topics. It definitely gets more interesting later in the year, I really liked the topics on kinetics, and organic chemistry is also really good, it's a lot less theoretical than some of the other topics which is pretty cool since there's a lot of context (e.g making substances for specific uses). It's also kind of similar to biology.
    Amount of substance has more maths in it than any of the other topics but you should practice it a lot as it's a really easy way to gain - or lose - marks in the exam!

ReputationRep:
    It definitely got more interesting for me. The organic chemistry stuff is a lot more understanding-based rather than just regurgitating definitions, so you actually use your brain a lot more haha, it does get better!

ReputationRep:
    The actual interesting parts of Chemistry only really come at Undergraduate Degree level.

. Partially because that the Quantum Physics that describes Chemistry can only be taught once people have enough maths under their belt. So it's all watered down ideas.

. Also, Organic Chemistry is like learning another language, like Maths. You won't understand it properly until you learn the fundamentals behind Carbon and why certain groups of atoms in a molecule are deemed to be "Functional".

It's like the Scientific equivalent of trying to play Chopin on the Piano when you have just learned the notes on the treble clef!

It's a shame more people don't continue it into degree level because that's where the real problem solving and interesting stuff starts to be revealed. Our "Symphonies" are revealed in the form of beautiful Synthetic routes to target molecules like for instance, the total synthesis of Vitamin B12 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitami...otal_synthesis

Part of the problem as well is that people tend to associate Chemistry with 'Memorisation'. In truth, it's a problem solving subject.

For example: I like to think of LiAlH4 (Lithium aluminium hydride) as our equivalent to the Logarithmic function that Mathematicians use. A log can be used to linearize or change an equation. LiAlH4 can be used to reduce or change a carbonyl functional group (such as an aldehyde) to an Alcohol.

So if you want to change a molecule with an aldehyde functional group to make the same molecule but with an alcohol group. I know I can use a 'reducing agent' or 'LiAlH4' to perform my desired operation.

That is where real Chemistry starts to reveal itself in my opinion. When you gain the fundamental understanding of Chemistry as a Logical "toolbox".

I think Science and Maths education needs fundamentally reformed with much more emphasis on understanding why rather than memorising things.

ReputationRep:
    I find A2 boringer than AS ..OCR A spec...I mean OCR organic is boring.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.