The Student Room Group

My life sucks

Hi.
Im 16
I’m struggling mentally. I have symptoms of depression. Which I’m not going to delve into. It pretty much effects me 5 out of 7 days a week.
My friends have grown distant, I rarely get messages or invited to do stuff. I got told one of my friends had a driving lesson but they were out with other friends. I get physically hit and knocked back as well as verbally via name calling.

What can I do? It’s sucks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AMurray817
Hi.
Im 16
I’m struggling mentally. I have symptoms of depression. Which I’m not going to delve into. It pretty much effects me 5 out of 7 days a week.
My friends have grown distant, I rarely get messages or invited to do stuff. I got told one of my friends had a driving lesson but they were out with other friends. I get physically hit and knocked back as well as verbally via name calling.

Try counseling.
Reply 2
Original post by TheAlchemistress
Try counseling.

wow great advice. He definitely couldn't have thought about that on his own.
Hi.
Im 16

Go to the doctor. Visit a counsellor. Contact the Samaritans. Take your mind off whatever is bothering you by taking up a hobby e.g. sport, reading, learning something new etc. Talk to a friend or family member about it.
Original post by Pedaly7
wow great advice. He definitely couldn't have thought about that on his own.

Are you being sarcastic? I only said try counseling because it seems as if he needs guidance, and I am basing this on what he wrote. If it was different I would have given a different advice.
Reply 5
Are you being sarcastic?

no not at all
Original post by Pedaly7
no not at all

You obviously are.
Reply 7
You obviously are.

so why did you ask? lol
Original post by Pedaly7
so why did you ask? lol

Because I just did.
Reply 9
Because I just did.

well this conversation was useful.
Hi.
Im 16

Welp, I was a bit like you at 15, I had friends but they never invited me out, never really talked to me or anything, I just tagged along when we went out and hung around with them. I figured out how to fix that and that was: Get new friends, I helped a guy in my maths class out with homework and then asked to go up with him to lunch, I then made friends with him and all the people in his group reasonably quickly. (during this time I was depressed also, (self diagnosed ovc) as I didnt want to go to the doctors, I could just tell it was depression though due to suicidal thoughts, sadness, crying and the thought of harming myself in numerous ways)

As for the physically hit thing, that happened to me too for a while until I beat the living daylights out of the people who did it, yes I got in trouble for it even though they were the ones who were starting it in a way yet it never went any further than a slap on the wrists by my school as there were fights there almost daily.

You can get friends easily if you talk to people. I moved school recently (not due to bullying or anything, just due to moving house.) and I've got more friends here then I did at my old school, my suggestion is: if the people try to harm you, harm them back just in a more painful way, trust me, they'll stop. Talk to people you may not normally talk to, they'll talk back and will probably treat you better than your other friends.

Also, as for the depression: listen to "Kid Cudi", all of his "Man on the moon II" stuff is pure gold. as well as a lot of his "indicud" album. Got me out of depression as I listened to it on repeat every day. (He's especially good if you like hip hop rap as you'll like the sound of the music also.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8EH1_jZBl4 Trapped in my mind - Kid Cudi
to get you started, also consider going to a doctor for you mental health issues too, I didn't do that myself, but it will defo help.

Spoiler

If you distant yourself from friends, family and life in will make you much more depressed. Go out there and enjoy life. The world is your oyster even if you currently feel low. Just remember this is a small blip in your life....you have so much to look forward too. Also, make yourself known around the school, for example maybe help out with after school clubs to make more friends. Think about the root and cause of your upset/ depression because that will ensure you don't slip back into that negative mind set. Don't think about being depressed because it will consume you - each day is a new you!
Original post by Pedaly7

Very useful indeed!
Hi.
Im 16

It would be best seeking medical help/advice with your local GP as clearly by some of the responses, you're asking children :tongue: Your GP will be able to help a lot in diagnosing Depression (or other issues) officially and can refer you to professionals which can help you.

As for friends, if they aren't being good friends then find better ones. There's always others who can help you in your situation. If you're being physically and verbally hurt continuously, you're surrounding yourself with the wrong people (or if the physical side is from bullying(?))

Maybe look at a sport like Martial Arts. Great self defence and can also be good to take your mind if things, vent any frustration etc.

There is help for depression medically, and you're definitely not alone in the matter, so I would say seek help as soon as possible. It'll be better for you in the future.
Hi.
Im 16

Hey, it's okay

I relate to this 100% and still learning how to deal with it so my advice may or may not be useful

It's difficult not really having the safety net of friends that everyone is pretty much obliged to have but understand that you're only 16 and you will meet so many people in the future and make more, if not better friends.

In the meantime, I wouldn't dwell on it. Try and enjoy your own company more by maybe going places yourself. Even to the park, or a museum or just take a really long bus ride with your headphones in on full blast, idk.

I'm not aware of anything that may be going on in your life, but the whole friends thing is going to pass and if you worry about it too much, when the time comes for you to actually make friends and meet new people it will prove to be more difficult than you anticipated (speaking from experience)

I don't think I helped but I hope you feel better soon. Or at least more than 2 days a week!💜
Very useful indeed!

Original post by Pedaly7

And still, none of it helped the thread poster at all. Time well spent.

(You're both childish)
Reply 16
Original post by Anonymous
And still, none of it helped the thread poster at all. Time well spent.

(You're both childish)

(thank you)
Welp, I was a bit like you at 15, I had friends but they never invited me out, never really talked to me or anything, I just tagged along when we went out and hung around with them. I figured out how to fix that and that was: Get new friends, I helped a guy in my maths class out with homework and then asked to go up with him to lunch, I then made friends with him and all the people in his group reasonably quickly. (during this time I was depressed also, (self diagnosed ovc) as I didnt want to go to the doctors, I could just tell it was depression though due to suicidal thoughts, sadness, crying and the thought of harming myself in numerous ways)

As for the physically hit thing, that happened to me too for a while until I beat the living daylights out of the people who did it, yes I got in trouble for it even though they were the ones who were starting it in a way yet it never went any further than a slap on the wrists by my school as there were fights there almost daily.

You can get friends easily if you talk to people. I moved school recently (not due to bullying or anything, just due to moving house.) and I've got more friends here then I did at my old school, my suggestion is: if the people try to harm you, harm them back just in a more painful way, trust me, they'll stop. Talk to people you may not normally talk to, they'll talk back and will probably treat you better than your other friends.

Also, as for the depression: listen to "Kid Cudi", all of his "Man on the moon II" stuff is pure gold. as well as a lot of his "indicud" album. Got me out of depression as I listened to it on repeat every day. (He's especially good if you like hip hop rap as you'll like the sound of the music also.)

to get you started, also consider going to a doctor for you mental health issues too, I didn't do that myself, but it will defo help.

Spoiler

I've heard of Kid Cudi when I saw that Tedtalk he did, defo going to start listening to his music

Thanks for this, guess you helped out 2 people

Spoiler

Thanks man, will sure give it a listen. I’m not sure I would want to respond ohysically. Wouldn’t want to sacrifice my sixth form place for it.
Original post by TooNocturnal
It would be best seeking medical help/advice with your local GP as clearly by some of the responses, you're asking children :tongue: Your GP will be able to help a lot in diagnosing Depression (or other issues) officially and can refer you to professionals which can help you.

As for friends, if they aren't being good friends then find better ones. There's always others who can help you in your situation. If you're being physically and verbally hurt continuously, you're surrounding yourself with the wrong people (or if the physical side is from bullying(?))

Maybe look at a sport like Martial Arts. Great self defence and can also be good to take your mind if things, vent any frustration etc.

There is help for depression medically, and you're definitely not alone in the matter, so I would say seek help as soon as possible. It'll be better for you in the future.

I think I’ll end up visiting the GP with my mam. It will help in the long run I’m sure

Quick Reply