Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are many different courses at uni for physics but the trouble I have is choosing which one. Which one would you say requires the most maths and which one requires the least maths.

Also I enjoy electromagnetism and energy's and particle physics. What would you recommend and which one requires the most maths and which one requires the least maths.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustSomeRandomer)
    There are many different courses at uni for physics but the trouble I have is choosing which one. Which one would you say requires the most maths and which one requires the least maths.

Also I enjoy electromagnetism and energy's and particle physics. What would you recommend and which one requires the most maths and which one requires the least maths.
    Hi,

What Universities are you looking at in particular? I can't say much for other Universities but from my experience studying Physics at the University of Hertfordshire (I have just graduated) math's and Physics are very much connected. Here there is a compulsory pure maths module (that is shared with maths students) in both your first and second of Physics and in your final year there are optional maths modules but you can choose not to do these in favour of other modules if that's what you want to do.

In the second year of the BSc Physics there is an Electromagnetism and Optics module that goes very in depth in these subject areas. There are several modules that cover particle physics throughout the degree, below I have linked the subject page for the BSc in Physics at UH if you are interested.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/physics

All in all most Physics courses will have lots of maths but I'm sure there will be some variation you will just need to look at the modules offered by each course.

I hope this was helpful,

Paul

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Hertfordshire)
    Hi,

What Universities are you looking at in particular? I can't say much for other Universities but from my experience studying Physics at the University of Hertfordshire (I have just graduated) math's and Physics are very much connected. Here there is a compulsory pure maths module (that is shared with maths students) in both your first and second of Physics and in your final year there are optional maths modules but you can choose not to do these in favour of other modules if that's what you want to do.

In the second year of the BSc Physics there is an Electromagnetism and Optics module that goes very in depth in these subject areas. There are several modules that cover particle physics throughout the degree, below I have linked the subject page for the BSc in Physics at UH if you are interested.

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/physics

All in all most Physics courses will have lots of maths but I'm sure there will be some variation you will just need to look at the modules offered by each course.

I hope this was helpful,

Paul
    I was looking towards the uni of Worcestershire to study physics but I will have a loo and thank you for the help and I will be sure to have a look at the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustSomeRandomer)

Some universities offer courses such as 'Physics and Maths' joint degrees and 'Theoretical physics', which are more maths focused. Physics and maths degrees are generally half-half physics and maths whereas theoretical physics is just more mathematically focused physics.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.