Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I assume I have next to no chance of getting onto an investment banking grad scheme without prior experience in this sector (I do have internship experience, but in the engineering sector instead).

So I'm looking at entering through the internship route, but I understand many don't accept graduates onto their internships, which is worrying for me.

also, are off-cycle internships aimed at graduates?

ReputationRep:
    Off-cycle possible but unlikely if you don't already have experience. Summer internships impossible.

Look for grad roles in Big 4 assurance / corporate finance. You can lateral into IBD after completing your ACA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fry_Cook_of_Doom)
    Off-cycle possible but unlikely if you don't already have experience. Summer internships impossible.

Look for grad roles in Big 4 assurance / corporate finance. You can lateral into IBD after completing your ACA.
    What are my chances of landing a grad role in the big 4 without prior finance experience?

also, I've had a quick look at the roles in the Big 4, is assurance the most 'versatile' role to get into? I think heard you can quite easily move from assurance to other areas, but not so much the other way round, how true is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lunnndoner)
    What are my chances of landing a grad role in the big 4 without prior finance experience?

also, I've had a quick look at the roles in the Big 4, is assurance the most 'versatile' role to get into? I think heard you can quite easily move from assurance to other areas, but not so much the other way round, how true is this?
    You can get into assurance quite easily so long as you have a good degree and a confirmed interest in a business / commercial career.

ReputationRep:
    You can get into assurance quite easily so long as you have a good degree and a confirmed interest in a business / commercial career.
    Thanks, one other question,

what are your thoughts on getting into an investment bank but for a non-investment banking role?

would it be realistic to land a non-investment banking (not front office), as someone with no prior finance experience, and how difficult is it to transfer into an IB role?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, one other question,

what are your thoughts on getting into an investment bank but for a non-investment banking role?

would it be realistic to land a non-investment banking (not front office), as someone with no prior finance experience, and how difficult is it to transfer into an IB role?
    You can get into back office without prior finance experience, but don't expect to transfer into a front office role.

ReputationRep:
    You can get into back office without prior finance experience, but don't expect to transfer into a front office role.
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what would count as a FO or BO role?

for example, is 'Global markets analyst' a FO role?

what about 'Compliance' or 'Risk', are these BO roles?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what would count as a FO or BO role?

for example, is 'Global markets analyst' a FO role?

what about 'Compliance' or 'Risk', are these BO roles?
    I think compliance is MO. Risk is definitely MO.

You can look this all up online.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

It's definitely not impossible to do a summer as a final year applicant, many have done it before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It's definitely not impossible to do a summer as a final year applicant, many have done it before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yea I've heard that as well, in fact I've spoken to a few banks last year at careers events at my uni. who've said they accept final years as well. I wish I asked about graduates as well, I haven't heard anything about graduates being accepted on to the summer internshps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I assumed judging from the thread title that OP had already graduated.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I assumed judging from the thread title that OP had already graduated.
    ah, thought it was final year then did a summer once they've graduated. fair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.