The Student Room Group

Are these wise UCAS subject choices?

I know this is a long post so in advace i would like to say Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this all and respond.

When I was younger (from early childhood until sometime towards the end of fifth year), in my mind all I was going to be was a doctor. My father really kind of overestimates my intelligence and ever since an event that took place when I was like 3, where as a result, I said I wanted to be a doctor it was all he ever encouraged me to do so I never really considered anything else. He always talks about how he always knew I was the "smarter" twin and always emphasised how much money doctors make which was a big pull factor for me (the main one I think). I think he did this because we are not well off and he just wants to see me be successful; I would be the first to go to uni if I do.
I started to doubt my ability to get the GCSE grades and my personality suitability because I vomit every time I see another person do so. I never ended up getting the necessary straight A's and A*'s anyway so becoming a doctor now is out of the question but ever since I have been uncertain of my future as for the best part of 12-13 years I put all my eggs in one basket. I also often find it hard to motivate myself to study.
I repeated lower sixth and dropped biology for psychology because I got a U but I hated biology anyway and only had it as a third A Level. I got an B in maths first time and brought it up to an A by repeating one module. I got an E in physics and brought it up to a C on a new specification where AS accounts for 40% of A Level (I was 2 marks off a B). (I got a B in psychology.)
The courses I was going to apply for are Mathematics, Physics and Applied Mathematics (both at the same school at the same uni), Energy (where you learn about renewable energy systems- a 2nd uni), and Aerospace Engineering (at the engineering school in the first uni) because I think it would be cool to spend a career making things that fly (I did a 5 week placement at a bus company so I have an idea of what engineers do). The grades these courses ask for range from ABB to BBB.
The first three courses are science degrees so I don’t know if I could write a personal statement that is also for engineering so I need advice as to whether making those subject applications would be unwise.
I am very worried that I will go to uni and it will be for nothing in the end or I will have chosen the wrong degree.
I am nervous about the prospect of moving away anyway because I am not good socially or with people (I have no friends but I am sometimes friendly with people) so possibly needing to find a part time job where good social skills are necessary and just trying to fend for myself without the support of coming home to my family everyday, is daunting.
I live in Northern Ireland and for the above reason I don’t want to leave NI (at least I would only be an hour bus drive from home).

Thanks again to anyone who took the time to read this all and respond.
Original post by irishninja
I know this is a long post so in advace i would like to say Thank you to anyone who takes the time to read this all and respond.

When I was younger (from early childhood until sometime towards the end of fifth year), in my mind all I was going to be was a doctor. My father really kind of overestimates my intelligence and ever since an event that took place when I was like 3, where as a result, I said I wanted to be a doctor it was all he ever encouraged me to do so I never really considered anything else. He always talks about how he always knew I was the "smarter" twin and always emphasised how much money doctors make which was a big pull factor for me (the main one I think). I think he did this because we are not well off and he just wants to see me be successful; I would be the first to go to uni if I do.
I started to doubt my ability to get the GCSE grades and my personality suitability because I vomit every time I see another person do so. I never ended up getting the necessary straight A's and A*'s anyway so becoming a doctor now is out of the question but ever since I have been uncertain of my future as for the best part of 12-13 years I put all my eggs in one basket. I also often find it hard to motivate myself to study.
I repeated lower sixth and dropped biology for psychology because I got a U but I hated biology anyway and only had it as a third A Level. I got an B in maths first time and brought it up to an A by repeating one module. I got an E in physics and brought it up to a C on a new specification where AS accounts for 40% of A Level (I was 2 marks off a B). (I got a B in psychology.)
The courses I was going to apply for are Mathematics, Physics and Applied Mathematics (both at the same school at the same uni), Energy (where you learn about renewable energy systems- a 2nd uni), and Aerospace Engineering (at the engineering school in the first uni) because I think it would be cool to spend a career making things that fly (I did a 5 week placement at a bus company so I have an idea of what engineers do). The grades these courses ask for range from ABB to BBB.
The first three courses are science degrees so I don’t know if I could write a personal statement that is also for engineering so I need advice as to whether making those subject applications would be unwise.
I am very worried that I will go to uni and it will be for nothing in the end or I will have chosen the wrong degree.
I am nervous about the prospect of moving away anyway because I am not good socially or with people (I have no friends but I am sometimes friendly with people) so possibly needing to find a part time job where good social skills are necessary and just trying to fend for myself without the support of coming home to my family everyday, is daunting.
I live in Northern Ireland and for the above reason I don’t want to leave NI (at least I would only be an hour bus drive from home).

Writing a statement for all five choices would be very difficult, you don't have to use five choices you could just apply to the one subject you prefer rather than not getting a place for five with a very broad statement
Reply 2

When I was applying for UCAS last year, I never thought I'd leave NI. I'm quite like you, I'm a naturally quiet person, so I didn't consider leaving.

But a year later, I'm into my 5th week of uni in the mainland, and I'm really enjoying it.

My point is you should follow what your gut is telling you - if you want to stay in NI, stay. If you think you want to take the leap, go for it. Whatever you choose, you'll enjoy it.

Good luck, let me know if you have any questions :smile:
why dont you do nursing.. get some years behind u as a nurse and go further and apply to do your doctorate?

Hiya:hi:

You have had very good advice so far and I've moved your thread into this sub-forum so that you will hopefully get the replies you're after.:smile:

My advice would be to think about what you new career plans are. If you want to go into aerospace engineering int he future, then maybe think about that rather that the energy degree.:dontknow: As for medicine, don't blame your father when you are autonomous of your own decisions:wink:

Hope that helps.:hat2:

MR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending