The Student Room Group

Stressed about Oxford college choice

I sent my university application today, but I'm really stressed out about my college choice, I wish I'd chosen one college over the one I actually applied to. Oxford has an online form where you can request to change your application here:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/ucas-application-changes?wssl=1

But will it affect my application if the college I applied to know I changed my mind? Surely it's not that easy to change college (or even course, as that's an option too)?

@BrasenoseAdm @LMH any advice would be highly appreciated :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I just applied to the first one I saw?
Original post by Quintic
I sent my university application today, but I'm really stressed out about my college choice, I wish I'd chosen one college over the one I actually applied to. Oxford has an online form where you can request to change your application here:
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/applying-to-oxford/ucas-application-changes?wssl=1

But will it affect my application if the college I applied to know I changed my mind? Surely it's not that easy to change college (or even course, as that's an option too)?

Thanks for the (evening) summons.

Yes, you can change your mind.
No, it won't affect the outcome.

Good luck with your application.

Brasenose Admissions
Seconding what Brasenose say :smile: Good luck to you and get in touch if you have any questions!
Reply 4
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks for the (evening) summons.

Yes, you can change your mind.
No, it won't affect the outcome.

Good luck with your application.

Brasenose Admissions

Original post by LMH OXFORD
Seconding what Brasenose say :smile: Good luck to you and get in touch if you have any questions!

Thank you very much :smile: Another particular question, unfortunately (I have many worries) - does it matter that I've received my acknowledgement email from Undergraduate Options? Will the application have gone to the college by this point and as such affect my application if I change college?
Original post by Quintic

But why are you stressed about the choice? Is it something you have heard? If you are called for interview you may not even have an interview at your college of choice - you could be passed to another college if the first thinks you are good enough to be considered but they have had alot of other good applications. Sometimes it ends up being a bit of pot luck.
Original post by Quintic
Thank you very much :smile: Another particular question, unfortunately (I have many worries) - does it matter that I've received my acknowledgement email from Undergraduate Options? Will the application have gone to the college by this point and as such affect my application if I change college?

No, you can still change your selection. It will be actioned next week by the Undergraduate Admissions Office and will not affect the outcome in any way. There are a small number of changes made early on each year and colleges are used to them.

Brasenose Admissions
Reply 7
Original post by Hugh's Swan
But why are you stressed about the choice? Is it something you have heard? If you are called for interview you may not even have an interview at your college of choice - you could be passed to another college if the first thinks you are good enough to be considered but they have had alot of other good applications. Sometimes it ends up being a bit of pot luck.

The college I want to apply to seems to have a better social atmosphere (more bops, good entertainment) than the one I actually did apply to. The one I applied to is apparently friendly, but a lot of colleges claim that. It's also got more places for my subject (which is quite small across the university) but I've since decided that that's not all that important.
Original post by Quintic
The college I want to apply to seems to have a better social atmosphere (more bops, good entertainment) than the one I actually did apply to. The one I applied to is apparently friendly, but a lot of colleges claim that. It's also got more places for my subject (which is quite small across the university) but I've since decided that that's not all that important.

No need to worry - people don't need to stick to their own college for social events. If you have friends at other colleges you can go to their bar, events etc. Social life is not just drinking - there are lots of student plays, music recitals etc at other colleges that are open to all. Plays that are performed in the summer on the college lawn or in a quad are a lovely thing to attend and open to everyone.
Reply 9
ooooo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending