The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

More men commit suicide than women.

Is this true?

Scroll to see replies

Yes its quite significantly higher, most likely because of the stigma behind men showing any kind of emotion
Original post by Tom K16
Is this true?

Yes it's a fact.

It's this whole stiff upper lip mentality that British men have been taught to embrace.

Which I always thought was ridiculous.
Also more likely to be successful too. Women tend to go for overdoses while men go for more violent methods. Quite shocking.
It's true. It is often reported that women are more likely to attempt suicide but opt for less lethal means.
Reply 5
Original post by Tom K16
Is this true?

Statistics suggest so, yes.

Here are some statistics on suicide rates on the Samaritans site.
https://www.samaritans.org/sites/default/files/kcfinder/files/Samaritans%20suicide%20statistics%20report%202016.pdf

There could be some influence in how the statistics are collected or what is defined as suicide, but the difference is so great I doubt that could be the only reason for the difference.
Yes, I think 66% of men, and 33% of women
Reply 7
The biggest cause of death for males under 50 is suicide

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/a-to-z/s/suicide
I feel like guys have a harder time talking about mental health, so I guess they do.
Original post by Londons SweetBoy
Yes it's a fact.

It's this whole stiff upper lip mentality that British men have been taught to embrace.

Which I always thought was ridiculous.

I'm guess it is ridiculous especially when it's something so serious.
Reply 10
Original post by Casisalive
I feel like guys have a harder time talking about mental health, so I guess they do.

I do not think that more men deal with mental health difficulties. I believe that's pretty equal. However, I think that it is socially easier for women to reach out to help and support services than men. Some men may feel like it is "weak" or "unmanly" to reach out for help and support due to the old-fashioned ideas of it not being very masculine to need support. I hope that this narrative is changing. I personally know one boy and one man who took their own lives - The effects of these deaths of their families have been utterly devastating.
This website gives links to the latest figures.

More importantly, it's a very good resource (including a helpline) for any man who feels despairing and hopeless.
Its true

I would say its to easily dismissed as being because men are not able to show enough emotion though..

Its worth noting that in most other regions the distance between men and women is significantly less than in europe and america.

In asia for example the ratio is only 1.5 men to 1 woman. rather then 4-1 in Europe. They have a similar suicide rate, and have societies that also do not embrace men being emotional.. so why do they not have the same problem as us?

I do think the lack of emotional intelligence plays a part - certainly in ones ability to seek help when it is needed. But I think this compounds on top of other societal issues to explain why in Europe we have such a difference between men and woman, but not in other parts of the world.

A large part of it for me comes down to the role of men in society. I do think we are in a transition for men currently where the roles are being redefined hugely. In the space of a single century what it means at its core to be a 'man' has changed beyond recognition. This is not necessarily a bad thing in the long-run, and may prove to be a good change, but for now, during the transition, I do feel like its leaving many men lost for directions, and not knowing their place in this world.

I think this feeling of being lost is triggering problems among men, that its not in women, and then their inability to seek help is causing an awful situation which they end up trapped in.

From my own experiance of men in 2 parts of the world:

Spoiler

Original post by Tom K16
Is this true?

Very sadly, yes. There's just much more stress to being a male than a female. And if you express any sort of emotion, people would say you're lying or exaggerating. I know this from all my terrible experiences. To cope I would just cry when I'm alone and evaluate why I'm so sad, and perhaps try to make it better by taking some kind of action. I have considered suicide much more than once, and whenever something goes really bad I consider it, but most people that actually say they want to be suicidal only want things to get better. I usually have very big interests, and if anyone is feeling suicidal, the best way to keep going is by having very big goals (like becoming the president, for example). Just never give up, always keep going - tomorrow can always be better.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Its true

I would say its to easily dismissed as being because men are not able to show enough emotion though..

Its worth noting that in most other regions the distance between men and women is significantly less than in europe and america.

In asia for example the ratio is only 1.5 men to 1 woman. rather then 4-1 in Europe. They have a similar suicide rate, and have societies that also do not embrace men being emotional.. so why do they not have the same problem as us?

I do think the lack of emotional intelligence plays a part - certainly in ones ability to seek help when it is needed. But I think this compounds on top of other societal issues to explain why in Europe we have such a difference between men and woman, but not in other parts of the world.

A large part of it for me comes down to the role of men in society. I do think we are in a transition for men currently where the roles are being redefined hugely. In the space of a single century what it means at its core to be a 'man' has changed beyond recognition. This is not necessarily a bad thing in the long-run, and may prove to be a good change, but for now, during the transition, I do feel like its leaving many men lost for directions, and not knowing their place in this world.

I think this feeling of being lost is triggering problems among men, that its not in women, and then their inability to seek help is causing an awful situation which they end up trapped in.

From my own experiance of men in 2 parts of the world:

Spoiler

This is an interesting point that I’ve heard mentioned before. As a woman, I think that modern wave feminism has reached a point where it wants to achieve certain goals without giving some thought for who is impacted along the way. There is a common rhetoric that ‘men are trash’ or not needed and are pretty useless in the grand scheme of things and ‘girl power’ and all that. I know it’s a generalisation and this would not affect every man, but that kind of rhetoric has the potential to make some men feel misplaced where they lose the ability to see where they fit in modern society. Some men react to this in one of two ways. Either they retreat into the confines of the alt-right internet where women are hated or they become lost and start to feel like they have no use which can trigger feelings of depression.

I don’t know what the solution is, however I think it’s an important point to raise. There are even some extreme feminists who have brought up the theory that in the future, reproduction would be scientifically possible without men (don’t know how scientifically sound that is) therefore they will become extinct in time, but then what kind of message does that send?
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
This is an interesting point that I’ve heard mentioned before. As a woman, I think that modern wave feminism has reached a point where it wants to achieve certain goals without giving some thought for who is impacted along the way. There is a common rhetoric that ‘men are trash’ or not needed and are pretty useless in the grand scheme of things and ‘girl power’ and all that. I know it’s a generalisation and this would not affect every man, but that kind of rhetoric has the potential to make some men feel misplaced where they lose the ability to see where they fit in modern society. Some men react to this in one of two ways. Either they retreat into the confines of the alt-right internet where women are hated or they become lost and start to feel like they have no use which can trigger feelings of depression.

I don’t know what the solution is, however I think it’s an important point to raise. There are even some extreme feminists who have brought up the theory that in the future, reproduction would be scientifically possible without men (don’t know how scientifically sound that is) therefore they will become extinct in time, but then what kind of message does that send?

I feel like that someone time when all you see on television is feminist adverts I kinda feel small in the world.
Original post by Anonymous
I feel like that someone time when all you see on television is feminist adverts I kinda feel small in the world.

Feminism is still very much needed, because we are still living in a somewhat sexist society (mainly in 3rd world countries). But sometimes extreme feminists can take it too far in the other direction.
Reply 17
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
Feminism is still very much needed, because we are still living in a somewhat sexist society (mainly in 3rd world countries). But sometimes extreme feminists can take it too far in the other direction.

Yeah I support it as far as equality but when it gets to the 'men are trash' crap its gone to far and basically its the same as it was before just men and women have swapped places.
well yes , I nearly killed myself last year
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Tom K16
Yeah I support it as far as equality but when it gets to the 'men are trash' crap its gone to far and basically its the same as it was before just men and women have swapped places.

Men and women haven’t exactly swapped places, I think it’s mainly that men have always had an established role in the world which is no longer the same. I think rather than reverting back, it’s more important to level it out.

Latest