Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I am in Year 13 and I am sitting my A Levels next year, the issue is I really dislike a subject I am studying to the point where I hate going to the lessons! I don't know how I am going to cope throughout this year. I have been thinking of staying an extra year and doing a different subject but I don't know

ReputationRep:
    Think about why you hate it. Is it the subject, is it the teacher, is it the workload, is it not what you expected, is it the class, is it the exams etc? What you decide to do really depends why. If it was me, I'd try my best to stick at it, talk to some teachers and get some support, but if you really can't stand it then retake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow_99)
    Hello,
    I am in Year 13 and I am sitting my A Levels next year, the issue is I really dislike a subject I am studying to the point where I hate going to the lessons! I don't know how I am going to cope throughout this year. I have been thinking of staying an extra year and doing a different subject but I don't know
    As is said above - Thinking about why you hate it. Subjects are a hell of a lot more work if you're struggling with them. They are however, a lot more interesting if you understand and engage with it.

It's your choice. Nobody on here can really tell you how you feel. If you'd be happy to drop it and pick something else up, whilst committing to 2 years, look into doing so. If not, stick it out.

My advice would actually be to switch. I've seen people persist with A-Level subjects they hate and do badly, while being stressed, because of it. Either use that and say "Yep, I need to go." Or "No, I can do this, it's only 7-8 more months till the exams."

Either way, good luck!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    As is said above - Thinking about why you hate it. Subjects are a hell of a lot more work if you're struggling with them. They are however, a lot more interesting if you understand and engage with it.

It's your choice. Nobody on here can really tell you how you feel. If you'd be happy to drop it and pick something else up, whilst committing to 2 years, look into doing so. If not, stick it out.

My advice would actually be to switch. I've seen people persist with A-Level subjects they hate and do badly, while being stressed, because of it. Either use that and say "Yep, I need to go." Or "No, I can do this, it's only 7-8 more months till the exams."

Either way, good luck!
    Thank You, it's the class, 100% exams and I have a lack of passion for it. It is bringing me down as an individual too. I feel silly because I am looking at Universities too and I am preparing a Personal Statement! You are right, I am worried that I am going to experience the same feelings again, I should do something while I am new to Year 13.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow_99)
    Hello,
    I was literally in the same situation as you until yesterday morning, when I decided (very spontaneously) to swap chemistry to geography, which I hadn't done for 5 months. I'm not much help but I'd day speak to a teacher about dropping that subject asap because I already feel so much happier and motivated for changing my subject. One year extra in the grand scheme of life isn't much, so it should be a consideration. GOOD LUCK!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Georgiadelargy)
    I was literally in the same situation as you until yesterday morning, when I decided (very spontaneously) to swap chemistry to geography, which I hadn't done for 5 months. I'm not much help but I'd day speak to a teacher about dropping that subject asap because I already feel so much happier and motivated for changing my subject. One year extra in the grand scheme of life isn't much, so it should be a consideration. GOOD LUCK!
    I'm glad you feel happier! I will speak to my teacher but does it matter of I do 2 A Levels this year and 1 next year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.