The Student Room Group

Applying for Vet with Extenuating Circumstances

Hi, so I've recently applied for uni (Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh and Liverpool) to do vet med. I haven't managed to meet the work experience requirements for most of them - I've only got a week in a vet surgery, a week at a wildlife trust and a couple years working in stables. My extenuating circumstances are having Lymphoma in Year 10. I missed a lot of school and the treatment has left me exhausted until recently. School is hard for me, so w.e. on top of that really doesn't work. I have 11A*s GCSE, 4As AS and A*A*A* predicted, so my grades should be fine, but do you guys think I stand a chance of getting an offer despite the lack of work experience? This has been stressing me out for months.
Original post by Aellix

Usually this sort of situation is fine, and won't be an issue. However, do you know if the work experience requirement is set individually by each university (in which case they can certainly waive it) or is it set by the veterinary bodies who approve the degree (in which case it might be more complicated, but still probably fine)
Reply 2
They are set by the universities, so as you said that probably means I'm fine. Thank you!! Just needed some reassurance :smile:
You’ll be fine, however you must contact the universities and speak to them beforehand as you have to provide evidence of your mitigating circumstances in the form of a doctors letter
For Bristol you need to complete a form : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/after-you-apply/your-application/extenuating-circumstances/
Other Unis will have something similar.

Just remember that for any Uni, they dont have to accept your reasons for not having done this - ie. their attitude could be that you could simply apply next year and therefore get the necessary work experience done. And that even if they do, it doesnt mean you will automatically get an interview/offer
Original post by Aellix
Hi, so I've recently applied for uni (Nottingham, Bristol, Edinburgh and Liverpool) to do vet med. I haven't managed to meet the work experience requirements for most of them - I've only got a week in a vet surgery, a week at a wildlife trust and a couple years working in stables. My extenuating circumstances are having Lymphoma in Year 10. I missed a lot of school and the treatment has left me exhausted until recently. School is hard for me, so w.e. on top of that really doesn't work. I have 11A*s GCSE, 4As AS and A*A*A* predicted, so my grades should be fine, but do you guys think I stand a chance of getting an offer despite the lack of work experience? This has been stressing me out for months.

I applied with extenuating circumstances but had the requirements the other way round meaning I had the work experience but it took me a year longer to do the same number of A levels as everyone else. I was not at any disadvantage as such but then again I was applying essentially with all the requirements they needed by the time I applied.
I think they will take your circumstances into consideration (do get in touch with all the uni) but they will obviously need to make sure you are aware what the job involves and that with your placements you have got enough insight, which will mostly likely be interrogated at interview.

Good luck!
Hi, I had a BMT when I was 17 so also applied with extenuating circumstances, I got my head of sixth form to send a letter to each of the university admissions offices explaining my situation and extenuating circumstances (he also sold how totes amaze I am :lol: ) If they won't do that, then ringing admissions and explaining your situation is a wise idea, I went to Nottingham, who were fantastic with helping me with my extenuating circumstances. 3 of the 4 universities I applied to were happy to proceed with my application, one university flat out rejected me for my lack of work experience, I suspect they never read the letter.

Best of luck with your application

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending