The Student Room Group

Bad uni or a foundation year at a good uni ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Helloworld_95
Not necessarily a good idea. You still get the loss of a year like the foundation year but with much less of a guarantee that you get into your target uni.

As long as the OP grades improve, it isnt that difficult to get offers from good universities, only really the top 5 have strong competition which require you to smash things like admissions tests or interviews to get offers from.

Also if the op got onto their course after the foundation year and decided that it wasnt for them (which is a possibility as sometimes you dont know what a course is like until you try it) then they would be have to pay the money for upfront for the first year of a new course (as they would have used 2 years of sfe, 1 for the foundation year, 1 for the 1st year of course they progressed onto). I did a foundation year and had several friends that did the foundation year with me that found themselves in that position.
Original post by 999tigger
Resits are the cheapest an most cost effective solution.

it's also kinda scary and stressful to resit though, there's a fear of failing again
Original post by itsyrt
it's also kinda scary and stressful to resit though, there's a fear of failing again

Theres no guarantee you will pass foundation. I an see it makes sense though to settle for wasting £60,000 on a lesser degree or £14,000 on a foundation year.
Theres no guarantee you will pass foundation. I an see it makes sense though to settle for wasting £60,000 on a lesser degree or £14,000 on a foundation year.

Isnt foundation year also 9250?
Original post by itsyrt
Isnt foundation year also 9250?

Normally less, but you have a year at uni to support yourself.

A foundation year can fix some of the issues with learning from A-level and make you do better overall in the long run. That is to say, without the foundation year you could get a 2:2.
Original post by ManaPigs
A foundation year can fix some of the issues with learning from A-level and make you do better overall in the long run. That is to say, without the foundation year you could get a 2:2.

You managed to miss the point.
Original post by itsyrt

If you can't handle the resits of the A-level you wont be able to handle the degree imo

A resit of A-levels (if you improve) would also fix that issue though?
Original post by madmadmax321
If you can't handle the resits of the A-level you wont be able to handle the degree imo

I got U's at A-level, then resit and got C's before doing a foundation year and going to a university which wanted A*A*A. Definitely wouldn't have done well without the foundation year, it prepares you for the style of learning required to do well at university.
I got U's at A-level, then resit and got C's before doing a foundation year and going to a university which wanted A*A*A. Definitely wouldn't have done well without the foundation year, it prepares you for the style of learning required to do well at university.

I did a foundation year and would say that people who did A-level were more prepared than the people who did the foundation year so maybe it just varies from place to place foundation year wise.

Also you didnt improve to that high of a standard (not that I am taking away from your C's) at A-level, you did that in the foundation year so it doesnt prove that doing a foundation year would be better, it just showed you learnt how to study later on for whatever reason

While the style of learning is different at uni, I wouldnt say it takes that long to adapt to it, so I wouldnt class that as much of a positive.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by hunainshamsi
I have bad grades. DO you suggest getting into a bad uni with those low grades or do a foundation year and enter a good uni instead? Which would have better job prospect and overall feasibility? Note that a foundation year would be ONE extra year

Foundation year would be best at a good uni, rather than going to a uni with low grades. If you complete a foundation year at a good uni, you can always transfer to another uni of your choice and join the first year course there. It is like a 'catch up' year. You will still get uni experience rather than retaking your A Levels

Quick Reply

Latest