The Student Room Group

english lit

so i'm currently in year 11 but we've been told frequently about thinking about our a level options. one of the subjects i'm considering is english lit, bc i'm really enjoying the subject at gcse despite the workload.
i was just curious as to anyone's opinions on how they found the subject, and how big the jump is between gcse and a-level.
As you've already noted, the workload is a lot and I personally regretted doing it for A Level.
Reply 2
I personally love it, but I am about to apply to do it at University so I'm a bit biased.

Workload is a lot, but if you pre-read books (get that reading list before you start!) ahead you'll cope fine during the year because that's the main bulk of it. The skills you use are very similar - you're just expected to go into much greater detail and there's a far bigger emphasis on criticism and literary periods/contextual information. I've found it super interesting though, class discussions are great and the books you study at A-Level are far better than GCSE.

I'd recommend it!
Original post by lowza
I personally love it, but I am about to apply to do it at University so I'm a bit biased.

Workload is a lot, but if you pre-read books (get that reading list before you start!) ahead you'll cope fine during the year because that's the main bulk of it. The skills you use are very similar - you're just expected to go into much greater detail and there's a far bigger emphasis on critthicism and literary periods/contextual information. I've found it super interesting though, class discussions are great and the books you study at A-Level are far better than GCSE.

I'd recommend it!

thank you! how many works did you have to study for the a level exam?
I regret taking it badly. It’s boring, a lot of hard work and I feel like I didn’t get much out of it. I felt I didn’t learn many new skills and the grade boundaries are insane 😂
Reply 5
Original post by entertainmyfaith
thank you! how many works did you have to study for the a level exam?

2 novels, two anthologies of poems (about 40 poems all together I'd say) and two plays, 1 contemporary and 1 shakespeare. Then two more, of your own choosing, for coursework. Definitely manageable.
Original post by lowza
2 novels, two anthologies of poems (about 40 poems all together I'd say) and two plays, 1 contemporary and 1 shakespeare. Then two more, of your own choosing, for coursework. Definitely manageable.

40 poems ohmygod you had to memorise all of them?
Reply 7
40 poems ohmygod you had to memorise all of them?

Nooo you don't have to memorise them all! For 1 exam you do have to know them but you don't have to revise them all as you choose which ones to bring in, in the exam. For the second exam, you get a clean copy of the anthology. 40 does sound like a lot, but they're not epics! Usually 2 sides max, and you only ever use 2/3 in an exam.
I started English Lit A level this year and I didn't think I'd like it that much, but I actually really enjoy it. So far it hasn't been that much of a jump, apart from making notes as you go along, but I thought it was going to be a lot more work than it currently is....Saying that it could get worse, but I think if you want to do it, you'll have the motivation to do it, so if you want to take it you should. :smile:
Original post by lowza
Nooo you don't have to memorise them all! For 1 exam you do have to know them but you don't have to revise them all as you choose which ones to bring in, in the exam. For the second exam, you get a clean copy of the anthology. 40 does sound like a lot, but they're not epics! Usually 2 sides max, and you only ever use 2/3 in an exam.

oh okay, thanks!
Original post by Rose_Aria
I started English Lit A level this year and I didn't think I'd like it that much, but I actually really enjoy it. So far it hasn't been that much of a jump, apart from making notes as you go along, but I thought it was going to be a lot more work than it currently is....Saying that it could get worse, but I think if you want to do it, you'll have the motivation to do it, so if you want to take it you should. :smile:

that's great! what are you currently studying?
I love english so much, I've applied to study it at uni. I don't find the workload too much tbh- last year we did 2 novels, a play and a book of poetry. The poetry was open book so we didn't have to memorise it. The novels and play were closed book but I just memorised the most useful quotes and ended up getting an A. I find it really interesting as you learn historical and philosophical context. You also learn to apply critical views such as psychoanalytical or marxist theory. I would recommend it as universities love it and the skills you gain are really useful.
that's great! what are you currently studying?

I'm currently taking music, history and English lit, and I actually really like them :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending