Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

We have a cooking rota but I'm a terrible cook Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 2nd year and I am renting privately with people I knew from 1st year. We decided to have a cooking rota but I literally cannot cook! Up until tonight I have managed to come up with something at least edible but today was the worst of the lot, even I barely got through it and I made it. What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    Learn to cook? The internet is a goldmine of recipes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)
    I'm in my 2nd year and I am renting privately with people I knew from 1st year. We decided to have a cooking rota but I literally cannot cook! Up until tonight I have managed to come up with something at least edible but today was the worst of the lot, even I barely got through it and I made it. What should I do?
    It seems you have only one real option...

Go vegan. They'll hate the taste of your tofu and never ask you to cook for them again.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by BB8)
    Just get some staple student recipes, simple and foolproof.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/gu...-basic-recipes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)
    Start off with things that are nice but simple.

Try jars of curry sauce, chilli con carne or bolognese. All you have to do is brown the meat first and then cook it it the sauce for about 45 mins.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    It seems you have only one real option...

Go vegan. They'll hate the taste of your tofu and never ask you to cook for them again.
    If they don't ask me to stop after tonight they never will

(Original post by moonkatt)
    Learn to cook? The internet is a goldmine of recipes.
    I fed myself for an entire year and can still make only basic stuff and half the time I mess even that up. I use recipes from the internet, follow them, and somehow manage to screw up still.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Have you looked at the tsr cookbook yet? It's a free to use subsection of tsr where students have uploaded their own recipes which will hopefully give you inspiration for when it's your turn to cook!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Tsr_recipe_book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Start off with things that are nice but simple.

Try jars of curry sauce, chilli con carne or bolognese. All you have to do is brown the meat first and then cook it it the sauce for about 45 mins.
    Bolognese is the one thing I can actually make aha.. I'll try just using jars, but I have managed to mess up jars of sauces before though (I know what I did wrong that time tbf)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Killerpenguin15)
    Hello!

Have you looked at the tsr cookbook yet? It's a free to use subsection of tsr where students have uploaded their own recipes which will hopefully give you inspiration for when it's your turn to cook!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Tsr_recipe_book
    Thanks, I'll take a look

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)
    Bolognese is the one thing I can actually make aha.. I'll try just using jars, but I have managed to mess up jars of sauces before though (I know what I did wrong that time tbf)
    I cook from jars at uni all the time. If you need to cook with meat the most inexpensive way to do it is by buying the meat frozen so that you don't have to worry about the stuff going mouldy. I usually stick to chicken and pork sausages for the most part because of this. You can buy beef mince frozen also, which has actually given me an idea considering I have a bolognese sauce jar in lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)

I fed myself for an entire year and can still make only basic stuff and half the time I mess even that up. I use recipes from the internet, follow them, and somehow manage to screw up still.
    How? Just follow the recipe and focus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Just get some staple student recipes, simple and foolproof.
    You can cook with staples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hatter_2)
    You can cook with staples?
    LMAO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wonderuss)
    How? Just follow the recipe and focus
    Honestly I would kill for the answer to that. I may be cursed.

ReputationRep:
    If you like spicy food this is a banging curry recipe that's really simple to make(albeit time consuming prep wise).

https://www.rickstein.com/blog/recip...-steins-india/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BB8)
    Ask them if you can not be on the cooking rota and in turn do more cleaning or something?

ReputationRep:
    Either ask to leave the rota and cook for yourself or just practice. There really is no reason at all anyone shouldn't be able to cook. Have you tried making stuff in a slow cooker? It's pretty much impossible to burn it and you basically chuck the ingredients in and wait til later that day - job done, I think it's the easiest way to cook. You could also ask a flatmate to help you out and give you a few lessons - help them cook for a few days, maybe they can help you learn.

ReputationRep:
    Ask the others if they need help cooking or if you can shadow them whilst they prepare everything, that way you can learn from them and improve your own ability to cook.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.