Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm reapplying for uni this year and I was wondering are you going to take parts of your previous personal statement and use that in the new one? Like would that be allowed to take one whole paragraph from your previous personal statement, or would that be deemed as plagiarism?

Also, if you are retaking, are you going to put in a predicted grade onto the subject you are retaking? What would you put?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    It is plagiarism, you do have to write a new one.
    If you're retaking a subject put 'pending' on your grade, then your school puts the predicted.
    I'm not applying through my school though so should I just leave th grade pending? Also, I've seen some people say that they have used parts of their personal statement before however nothing happened to them.
    I think its will be safer to rewrite it though

ReputationRep:
    It is plagiarism, you do have to write a new one.
    If you're retaking a subject put 'pending' on your grade, then your school puts the predicted.
    No it's not. You can send the exact same PS as last year if you wanted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalikuku)
    I'm not applying through my school though so should I just leave th grade pending? Also, I've seen some people say that they have used parts of their personal statement before however nothing happened to them.
    I think its will be safer to rewrite it though
    Yes, as the referee will fill in the prediction grade when they submit the reference

ReputationRep:
    Your previous personal statement doesn't count as plagiarism but it's good you are writing a new one this year.
    Personally I applied yesterday as a gap year student, writing my personal statement again was a pain but I think it was composed much better this year.

If you are retaking, the college you are retaking at will predict you grades in reference. You just list the subject again in education, the ones you are retaking. It's important to get an academic reference, my old college wouldn't do it if I was retaking, but that's why I didn't retake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apixytm)
    Your previous personal statement doesn't count as plagiarism but it's good you are writing a new one this year.
    Personally I applied yesterday as a gap year student, writing my personal statement again was a pain but I think it was composed much better this year.

If you are retaking the new college or your old one should predict you the grades. You just list the subject again in education, the ones you are retaking.
    But wouldn't it count as plagiarism because you have made a whole new account? And that account doesn't know that you are the person who has your old personal statement?

I'm trying so hard to rewrite my personal statement like right now. How did you do it? I keep looking back to my old personal statement, trying to get inspiration to write something however I just can't seem to form any sentences :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalikuku)
    But wouldn't it count as plagiarism because you have made a whole new account? And that account doesn't know that you are the person who has your old personal statement?

I'm trying so hard to rewrite my personal statement like right now. How did you do it? I keep looking back to my old personal statement, trying to get inspiration to write something however I just can't seem to form any sentences :/
    Not at all. The UCAS system recognised my old Personal ID even though I entered no such detail when filling it out. I think they link your email with your previous accounts so make sure you use the email you used last time. I login to track using my ID from last year.
    Here's proof from UCAS:

Honestly, I don't recommend looking at your old PS, simply because that was you 1 year ago and you have improved a lot since then, it is more wise to come up with new ideas for your PS, or even get inspired by others.

I applied to Medicine and the first thing I did was search and read about 5 different PS that were of excellent quality or ticked most of the boxes on requirements. Then chose about 2 that I liked most, got out a piece of paper. Read a couple of sentences then made note of the broad topic discussed and important things mentioned (even if it was stretching the reality sometimes). As I was writing my own I would refer to the list and write a sentence or 2 on each skill/topic and try to link it to my next point.

It took a great deal of patience and 50hrs of editing time, don't rush it and don't stress out, that only leads to frustration.

ReputationRep:
    Are you mentally challenged? Of course, you can't use the same statement twice.
    Are you? You think you can plagarise yourself?

Not at all. The UCAS system recognised my old Personal ID even though I entered no such detail when filling it out. I think they link your email with your previous accounts so make sure you use the email you used last time. I login to track using my ID from last year.
    Here's proof from UCAS:

Honestly, I don't recommend looking at your old PS, simply because that was you 1 year ago and you have improved a lot since then, it is more wise to come up with new ideas for your PS, or even get inspired by others.

I applied to Medicine and the first thing I did was search and read about 5 different PS that were of excellent quality or ticked most of the boxes on requirements. Then chose about 2 that I liked most, got out a piece of paper. Read a couple of sentences then made note of the broad topic discussed and important things mentioned (even if it was stretching the reality sometimes). As I was writing my own I would refer to the list and write a sentence or 2 on each skill/topic and try to link it to my next point.

It took a great deal of patience and 50hrs of editing time, don't rush it and don't stress out, that only leads to frustration.
    Exactly.

ReputationRep:
    Here's proof from UCAS:

oh okay thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.