Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!
    I wanted to get some advice from other students who have passed gcse's.

I have missed about a year and a half of school, battling depression/anxiety and other mental health issues. I am currently in year 11 and I was only in school for about half of year 10, if even that. I had support and tutoring to help me get back into classes and catch up, and have since joined year 11 positive and ready to learn. Sadly, the crazy amount of pressure from this new, very difficult gcse year, has spun me back into a deep depression which has already cost me about a month of this school year!!
    Because of my complete lack of energy and motivation, I haven't been able to keep on top of work and have gotten myself into even more of a mess than I was before with all the catch up work!
    My question to you is, is there any way, with 31 weeks left until my gcse exams, that I can revise and catch up in all of my subjects (English,maths,biology,chemistry ,art and RE) or is it worth thinking about going back a year and starting again.
    Obviously, my goal is to catch up and pass my exams so that I don't have to be behind anymore, because my time off was not planned and it's taken me so long to get well, I feel like if I were to just give up, that my hard effort would go to waist.
    So, do you think that with less than a year left, that I could find ways to pass my very important gcse exams? Or is it just too unrealistic.
    It would be a great help to hear from other students.
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mw16)
    Hi everyone!

I have missed about a year and a half of school, battling depression/anxiety and other mental health issues. I am currently in year 11 and I was only in school for about half of year 10, if even that. I had support and tutoring to help me get back into classes and catch up, and have since joined year 11 positive and ready to learn. Sadly, the crazy amount of pressure from this new, very difficult gcse year, has spun me back into a deep depression which has already cost me about a month of this school year!!
    Because of my complete lack of energy and motivation, I haven't been able to keep on top of work and have gotten myself into even more of a mess than I was before with all the catch up work!
    My question to you is, is there any way, with 31 weeks left until my gcse exams, that I can revise and catch up in all of my subjects (English,maths,biology,chemistry ,art and RE) or is it worth thinking about going back a year and starting again.
    Obviously, my goal is to catch up and pass my exams so that I don't have to be behind anymore, because my time off was not planned and it's taken me so long to get well, I feel like if I were to just give up, that my hard effort would go to waist.
    So, do you think that with less than a year left, that I could find ways to pass my very important gcse exams? Or is it just too unrealistic.
    Thankyou
    Yes. Just buy the revision guides, they will have most of the information there. A lot of the stuff that is taught at GCSE over the period of a couple of years you have to look through again because you completely forget it. Some other stuff is not even on the specification. Just focus on getting the revision guides and doing yourself a timetable. There are step to step tutorials for a variety of questions all over the internet (e.g. YouTube ), including model answers. If you start now you should be fine.

Here are some other main resources:

Physics and maths tutor
    (For English) - research 'Mr Bruff'

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If you have been missing that much time off school because of a mental health disorder you could apply for mitigating circumstances where when it comes to your exams the examiners will take into account your circumstances (regarding your mental health) when marking your papers, might be worth mentioning to your school about it ☺️ As for the work, as long as you try your best to revise as much as you can, maybe ask a friend to share notes or study together? But don't push yourself too much, you'll do amazing I'm sure! ☺️

Have you been diagnosed with depression/anxiety by the doctor? Because If you apply for mitigating circumstances they are most likely to ask to see some sort of proof (doctors note/letter)

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou both for your very useful advice yes, I have been diagnosed with depression/anxiety for 3 years and my school have been very supportive and have asked for proof from doctors before, regarding my attendance and things. I am sure if I mention this to them, they will find a way to get it sorted!
    Now it's just non- stop revising as much as I can! And I will use those revision guides, and resources.
    Thankyou for regaining my hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mw16)
    Hi everyone!

Thankyou
    Calm down xD

These are GCSE's - just make sure you listen in class and when it comes to March start revision.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.