Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A degree is a degree! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What utter nonsense that a 2:2 is below standard! What planet are you on?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Good luck finding a good job with a 2:2 and below

ReputationRep:
    With Brexit, alot of employers have reduced their graduate intake and expanding european offices.

Good luck finding a job with a 2:2 (its doable but excludes you from like 80% of all jobs)
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah00)
    With Brexit, alot of employers have reduced their graduate intake and expanding european offices.

Good luck finding a job with a 2:2 (its doable but excludes you from like 80% of all jobs)
    2:1 is standard these days. A first class puts you above most the competition tbh

ReputationRep:
    A job is a job! Why want to become an investment banker when you can pick garbage around town for the rest of your life?

(egalitarian troll btfo)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The thing is a degree shouldn't be "a degree", as you say.

Those grad jobs don't need a degree to be done - specifically they accept any degree subject and just put arbitrary requirements on the classification or awarding university due to demand. You could get a 6th form student who is bright but not necessarily academically minded, put them in an investment bank as a trainee (below the standard of grad analysts) and within two years they'd be easily able to do the role of a grad analyst. An analyst does not need or use advanced mathematics. A quant, sure, but most applying for those positions will have at least a masters if not a PhD, so..

What a degree should be is what it was originally intended for - an academic training programme for either a handful of professions which require specific academic knowledge to engage in (law, medicine, etc - also in modern day times, realistically engineering) or to continue in academia as a lecturer, scientist, researcher generally, etc, etc. Even some things, like a reasonable swathe of engineers, many solicitors (as opposed to barristers, and particularly in corporate law), architects, and so on, which would otherwise fall into the above, could well be trained (as they are, for the former two) in joint academic apprenticeship programmes - where the degree is incidental, more than anything.

Alas, (the necessary and good push for) access to university has been misinterpreted and misimplemented as meaning that everyone should go to university, rather than anyone should be able to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    2:1 is standard these days. A first class puts you above most the competition tbh
    I hate how the govt has introduced another layer of grades for new GCSEs

just increases the gap between average and super clever and gives added advantage to households that can afford private tutors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Those grad jobs don't need a degree to be done - specifically they accept any degree subject and just put arbitrary requirements on the classification or awarding university due to demand. You could get a 6th form student who is bright but not necessarily academically minded, put them in an investment bank as a trainee (below the standard of grad analysts) and within two years they'd be easily able to do the role of a grad analyst. An analyst does not need or use advanced mathematics. A quant, sure, but most applying for those positions will have at least a masters if not a PhD, so..
    Hi my name is artful_lounger and I rant about IB whenever I can.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I hate how the govt has introduced another layer of grades for new GCSEs

just increases the gap between average and super clever and gives added advantage to households that can afford private tutors
    No one said life is fair. But it's understandable. The best people get the best jobs.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohanGRK)
    Hi my name is artful_lounger and I rant about IB whenever I can.

ReputationRep:
    <3

ReputationRep:
    Again, what planet you on? I'm a boss with a 1st with masters too! My staff are 2:2 and more functional than my 4 males who have a 1st! People need to "back up" their skills without academia involved. Get in the real world mate!

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to you! With your attitude I wouldn't employ you, even if you manage a Masters!

ReputationRep:
    A degree is a unit of measurement of angles, one ninetieth of a right angle or the angle subtended by one three-hundred-and-sixtieth of the circumference of a circle.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it depends on what subject...m

ReputationRep:

Really? I'm half way to PhD and you?

ReputationRep:
    The thing is a degree shouldn't be "a degree", as you say.

What a degree should be is what it was originally intended for - an academic training programme for either a handful of professions which require specific academic knowledge to engage in (law, medicine, etc - also in modern day times, realistically engineering) or to continue in academia as a lecturer, scientist, researcher generally, etc, etc. Even some things, like a reasonable swathe of engineers, many solicitors (as opposed to barristers, and particularly in corporate law), architects, and so on, which would otherwise fall into the above, could well be trained (as they are, for the former two) in joint academic apprenticeship programmes - where the degree is incidental, more than anything.

Alas, (the necessary and good push for) access to university has been misinterpreted and misimplemented as meaning that everyone should go to university, rather than anyone should be able to go to university.
    Well said!!!
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliamarie9)
    Good luck to you! With your attitude I wouldn't employ you, even if you manage a Masters!
    I really couldn't care less what you wouldemploy. I'm on my way to get a First class degree in Mechanical Engineering. I'm also already the co-director of a company, soon to be CEO after I graduate from uni:borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juliamarie9)
    What utter nonsense that a 2:2 is below standard! What planet are you on?
    Good grad jobs are generally conditional on a 2:1. A 2:2 is still a degree, it just closes a lot of doors to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Good grad jobs are generally conditional on a 2:1. A 2:2 is still a degree, it just closes a lot of doors to you.
    *an idiot flies in and asks:*
    "what does 2:2 mean? does it mean you failed something? if I get 2:1 does that mean I got straight As or something?"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.