Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just got marked down a mark of zero on my Argument Assignment for English coarse i am currently taking at university. The reason being is that my turnitin similarity report has a 36% similarity to other sources, and i have got a couple of sentences that are written the same way on other websites but with words added in between. Could make an appeal/complaint in my case? I have worked so hard for this assignment and i feel that it is totally unfair. Most of the work on that assignment was my work and i think it is just not fair that i don't credit for that. Do i have the right to complain or appeal?

Please also do ignore my username "alevel student" on the right. I don't know if that would appear. I use to be an alevel student years ago but know not anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevel student)
    I just got marked down a mark of zero on my Argument Assignment for English coarse i am currently taking at university. The reason being is that my turnitin similarity report has a 36% similarity to other sources, and i have got a couple of sentences that are written the same way on other websites but with words added in between. Could make an appeal/complaint in my case? I have worked so hard for this assignment and i feel that it is totally unfair. Most of the work on that assignment was my work and i think it is just not fair that i don't credit for that. Do i have the right to complain or appeal?

Please also do ignore my username "alevel student" on the right. I don't know if that would appear. I use to be an alevel student years ago but know not anymore.
    You can try explaining what you just did. But if a solid 36% of your work is similar to others, it looks as if you've not put work in. Adding a few words into someone else's sentences won't cut it, I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    I just got marked down a mark of zero on my Argument Assignment for English coarse i am currently taking at university. -snip-

Well have a word with your tutor about what they expect you to do.

There's probably a referencing guide on the uni website or in the library - referencing properly is what allows you to take other peoples ideas and use them in your own essays without getting into trouble.
    uni subject librarians are pretty useful people to talk to about your essay writing skills - they've usually got a postgrad qualification and have navigated higher education successfully.

Generally it's preferable to paraphrase rather than quote as it shows you have read and processed some information, it also shows up less on turnitin... if some quotes are necessary keep them brief, if possible select a crucial sentence rather than quoting an entire paragraph.

ReputationRep:
    You can seek help from a profssional on how to write your essay If it is 36% plagiarised, I'm afraid. it is too late to change anything. Just focus on your next assignment

ReputationRep:

Make an appeal, but the fact that you said "most" of the work on the assignment was yours doesn't exactly bode well.

Providing you cited everything you copied you should be ok, if not then you plagiarised and will have to accept the 0, it's much better than what they could do.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You're lucky you didn't get penalised for plagiarism.

ReputationRep:
    Without seeming the exact similarity report it’s hard to say. Turnitin isn’t a plagiarism checker but a word similarity checker. I’ve had reports come back before with 40%+ similarity and that was mainly due to references, with contents and even page numbers similar to previously handed in assignments!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.