Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Been asking this question for years. Got no answer - what is wrong with me?
    I’ll try to keep this short but basically I found out yesterday that I literally have no friends. I’ve realised that I have no group of people that I could go to town with, had not a single friend who I could go out with, nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I have people who I’m obviously friends with at school, not a problem, but I’m not close enough to any of them to go out with them etc.

Since primary school and even up to now, I’ve had many friends and many different types of friends. Was popular in primary school and in secondary was pretty much friends with everyone (popular or nerdy) because my personality was (is) very flexible, in a good way (I hope) so I was friends with the popular people, the bullies, the loners - pretty much every type of person.

However, I always found myself, throughout all these years, questioning my emotions. I found that in primary school, I was crying a lot and upset and got upset quite frequently as a result of falling out with friends and his continued in a subdued fashion throughout secondary though falling out with my friends all the time. Also, I would make notes writing down how I felt and all this stupid rubbish like how I was always targeted etc and I did this up to like year 8.

Honestly, I would say I’m a nice person, good intentions, I’m smart, have fairly good empathy skills but can be weird sometimes (in a funny way), maybe annoying too. I’m also very social, kinda extovertef and not shy at all.

I’ve always felt different to everyone else in some way: in the fact that i always handled things differently emotionally and had different thought processes.

For years I’ve asked my parents and they just laugh, asked the relatively closer friends and they either tell me it’s ridiculous or just laugh.

TL;DR:PLEASE someone just tell me why I’ve got no friends lol I’m nice and extroverted thanks
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Been asking this question for years. Got no answer - what is wrong with me?
    I’ll try to keep this short but basically I found out yesterday that I literally have no friends. I’ve realised that I have no group of people that I could go to town with, had not a single friend who I could go out with, nothing. Don’t get me wrong, I have people who I’m obviously friends with at school, not a problem, but I’m not close enough to any of them to go out with them etc.

Since primary school and even up to now, I’ve had many friends and many different types of friends. Was popular in primary school and in secondary was pretty much friends with everyone (popular or nerdy) because my personality was (is) very flexible, in a good way (I hope) so I was friends with the popular people, the bullies, the loners - pretty much every type of person.

However, I always found myself, throughout all these years, questioning my emotions. I found that in primary school, I was crying a lot and upset and got upset quite frequently as a result of falling out with friends and his continued in a subdued fashion throughout secondary though falling out with my friends all the time. Also, I would make notes writing down how I felt and all this stupid rubbish like how I was always targeted etc and I did this up to like year 8.

Honestly, I would say I’m a nice person, good intentions, I’m smart, have fairly good empathy skills but can be weird sometimes (in a funny way), maybe annoying too. I’m also very social, kinda extovertef and not shy at all.

I’ve always felt different to everyone else in some way: in the fact that i always handled things differently emotionally and had different thought processes.

For years I’ve asked my parents and they just laugh, asked the relatively closer friends and they either tell me it’s ridiculous or just laugh.

TL;DR:PLEASE someone just tell me why I’ve got no friends lol I’m nice and extroverted thanks
    Isn't it more the case that you and your friends want different things out of life? So either find some friends who also want to hit the town, bite the bullet and invite your current friends out (no harm in asking right?) or accept that you're in a jack of all trades, master of none type situation when it comes to interpersonal relationships.
    Mostly I'd say not to get too hung up on the matter because over analysing your life and thoughts just builds more self doubt.

ReputationRep:
    The number of times you mentioned "falling out" isn't telling me you're sincere when you claim to be "nice"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    The number of times you mentioned "falling out" isn't telling me you're sincere when you claim to be "nice"...
    Kind of depends if OP is male or female - in my experience female friendship groups tends to dissolve and reform (not to mention the endless drama you get with large volumes of teenage girls) a lot more even when composed of perfectly amicable people.

(Original post by Fujoshi)
    Isn't it more the case that you and your friends want different things out of life? So either find some friends who also want to hit the town, bite the bullet and invite your current friends out (no harm in asking right?) or accept that you're in a jack of all trades, master of none type situation when it comes to interpersonal relationships.
    Mostly I'd say not to get too hung up on the matter because over analysing your life and thoughts just builds more self doubt.
    I totally agree that I want different things in life than most of my friends that’s for sure. I’m a person built in principles and have aspirations and believe in strategic method to achieve my aspirations. Granted, my less intelligent friends are either not ambitious at all or my smart friends too complacent with their smarts so don’t try and aren’t goal getting/settlers if u get me.

Thanks a lot for your input, but how can this be related to being friendless?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.