Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am 20, and I am a EU citizen. I moved to the UK in August 2015 with my family. My mother is a EU citizen too, and she is working part time. I am getting tuition fees for my full-time course started in last month. However, I was just wondering whether I can apply for maintenance loan as a Migrant worker, as I have been working 16+ hours per week for the last year and a half.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by jessicaak)
    Hi,
    I am 20, and I am a EU citizen. I moved to the UK in August 2015 with my family. My mother is a EU citizen too, and she is working part time. I am getting tuition fees for my full-time course started in last month. However, I was just wondering whether I can apply for maintenance loan as a Migrant worker, as I have been working 16+ hours per week for the last year and a half.
    Hi jessicaak,

The EEA MW team assess students who do not meet the required standard core eligibility requirements but the student or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK.

Even although you do not meet the standard five year residency requirement, as long as you have been lawfully resident in the EU/EEA for at least three years prior to the start of your course and here, resident in England on the first day of the first academic year of your course.

There is a great article on The Student Room, here is a link,

http://bit.ly/2xDcQxe

Thanks Rona

ReputationRep:
    HiI just figured out as an EU parent of an EU daughter that to qualify for maintenance loan, the student must be living for 5 years in UK before the 1st day of academic year. My daughter will be living 4.5 years before the start of academic year in university. Because we received a letter from student finance that my daughter was classed as a
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by irfade)
    HiI just figured out as an EU parent of an EU daughter that to qualify for maintenance loan, the student must be living for 5 years in UK before the 1st day of academic year. My daughter will be living 4.5 years before the start of academic year in university. Because we received a letter from student finance that my daughter was classed as a

Hi irfade,

EU students who do not meet the five year residency requirements in the UK are eligible for a Tuition Fee only.

As an EU/EEA Migrant Worker, a student does not need to meet the five years rule.

If they or their EU/EEA family member are working in the UK and will continue to work throughout their studies, they can still be assessed for the same level of support as a home student as a Migrant Worker.

Regards Rona

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Ronald, in the meantime we have got the same information as you have given to me. We both as parents are working in UK and will continue, and we have already checked as you are saying. Thanks for your response with useful information. Regards Irfan

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have been living here for 3 years from another EU country and my dad works in the UK does that mean I’ll still qualify?

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.