Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in my 2nd year of college n i need a laptop before i hit university whats the best laptop to get as a student?

Im going to be doing more work on it than browsing or gaming.

Which laptop would you guys recommend?

Thanks🌻
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Macbook

ReputationRep:
    Look at laptops that have good processing power (Quad core CPU), good RAM, storage
    If you want to play games on it, I'd also look for a good graphics card

It depends what you want to do with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skuuuudent)
    Macbook
    My sisters got it, feels like its gonna break really easy and i need one that i can rely on and take everywhere
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nxdirah_)
    So I'm in my 2nd year of college n i need a laptop before i hit university whats the best laptop to get as a student?

Im going to be doing more work on it than browsing or gaming.

Which laptop would you guys recommend?

Thanks🌻
    What's your budget? Does "more work than gaming" mean no gaming at all or is there going to be some gaming done on it? If so, what sort of games did you want to play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    What's your budget? Does "more work than gaming" mean no gaming at all or is there going to be some gaming done on it? If so, what sort of games did you want to play?

Budget wise id say around £400 max

I mean no gaming at all it'll be just to type up notes and documents on

ReputationRep:
    Wait for black Friday, there will be a lot of sale on laptop

ReputationRep:

Any laptop is good for that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashecotton)
    Wait for black Friday, there will be a lot of sale on laptop
    Good plan, Thanks

ReputationRep:
    If it's just to type up notes and stuff basically any old toaster will do. If you're gonna physically take it into lectures you might want a slightly smaller one tho

ReputationRep:
    H.P Pavilion is affordable laptop that works excellently and very reliable.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:

There's going to be very little to separate laptops at that price with the same spec sheets, which you're probably going to looking at either a sixth/seventh generation i3/i5, 4-8GB of RAM and either a 500GB/1TB HDD or a small SSD. For the basic tasks you're doing the difference between a same-gen i3 and i5 won't be particularly noticeable, so I'd focus on finding something with a 120GB SSD for the largest improvement to day to day usability.

Good plan, Thanks
    Don't get your hopes up too high for black Friday in the UK, odds are you won't be jumping up a significant performance tier in any area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skuuuudent)
    Macbook
    A.K.A biggest rip off in modern history

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaland808)
    H.P Pavilion is affordable laptop that works excellently and very reliable.
    Cheers, ill check it out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Don't get your hopes up too high for black Friday in the UK, odds are you won't be jumping up a significant performance tier in any area.
    Ill start looking around for decent laptops, gonna need a lot of storage space so yeah an SSD will be necessary. Thanks

My sister works at Currys so i can get like 10% off with the sale.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Ill start looking around for decent laptops, gonna need a lot of storage space so yeah an SSD will be necessary. Thanks

My sister works at Currys so i can get like 10% off with the sale.
    If you're going to need a lot of storage then an SSD is the opposite of what you need, you'll get significantly less storage space compared to a HDD at the same price. I would personally recommend combining an internal SSD for programs and key files with using an external HDD for storing your media and document libraries, but if you definitely want a large internal drive then look for a laptop with a 1TB HDD instead. You're very unlikely to find a sub-£400 with both an SSD and HDD for under £400, although a hybrid drive is possible and makes an ok middle ground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    If you're going to need a lot of storage then an SSD is the opposite of what you need, you'll get significantly less storage space compared to a HDD at the same price. I would personally recommend combining an internal SSD for programs and key files with using an external HDD for storing your media and document libraries, but if you definitely want a large internal drive then look for a laptop with a 1TB HDD instead. You're very unlikely to find a sub-£400 with both an SSD and HDD for under £400, although a hybrid drive is possible and makes an ok middle ground.
    Okay thanks for the help, might as well look for a laptop with 1TB HDD even if it might be over the price i don't really care as long as its doing a good job and is fast which i assume means ill need a laptop with at least 8GB RAM.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Moved to the Laptops, netbooks and tablets subforum.

Just for notes and documents? For half your budget you could get a laptop running linux (a better OS than Windows for most things other than gaming and some proprietry software, a bit like MacOS) and have plenty of money spare. E.g. the Alpha Litebook would probably do you well.

Be a bit cautious before you delve into linux though. It is beginner friendly (at least what the Litebook ships with), but if you don't know what you are doing, it can be confusing.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Mathemagicien)
      Just for notes and documents? For half your budget you could get a laptop running linux (a better OS than Windows for most things other than gaming and some proprietry software, a bit like MacOS) and have plenty of money spare. E.g. the Alpha Litebook would probably do you well.
      I was hoping someone else would give me a specific brand at least😂

So thanks🌻

Ill check out the alpha litebook

Iv heard HP is really good with their laptops especially with the kind im searching for?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.