Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nxdirah_)
    Okay thanks for the help, might as well look for a laptop with 1TB HDD even if it might be over the price i don't really care as long as its doing a good job and is fast which i assume means ill need a laptop with at least 8GB RAM.
    RAM doesn't make your laptop faster, it just stops it slowing down when you're doing multiple tasks at once. 8GB is ideal in this sense, however. If you want a laptop that's perceptibly faster, get one with an SSD then use an external hard drive for mass storage like I suggested earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    Anything that isn't made by Apple.

More specifically, I've had good experiences with Lenovo (although their Z series/IdeaPad 500 series has plummeted in quality so I switched to another model) over the years. I've heard good things about Asus, although I've never used them. I'd suggest avoiding Dell if possible, as they tend to be somewhat poorly made and have lower lifespans (although their warranty was pretty good and they did basically give me a new laptop every other year while it was in effect, as soon as it wore out I had to buy a new one).

Also I'd strongly recommend getting a 1TB external HDD or something and keeping the bulk of your files on there - this allows you to save money on the main laptop by getting one with less space, and either way also prevents the inevitable slow down as you build up storage use on the laptop and also means if your laptop goes kaput you have your stuff still. If you do get a laptop with a good deal of space you can just use it as a backup, but I'd still suggest keeping non-essential files/things you don't go through on a daily basis, on the external, to avoid the slow down.
    Thanks for the info, yeah iv not heard good things about dell tbh. Iv been checking out lenovo laptops and they seem pretty good but Asus battery life seem better,at least the Asus laptops iv seen.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.